Not looking good for one of the chicks :(

• 2 Replies

Carla

• Experienced Member
Not looking good for one of the chicks :(
« on: May 11, 2011, 19:51 »
The bluebelle chick I had last Fridays isnt looking very well today. She's all fluffed up and standing about, peeping her head off and her eyes look sad. The speckledy I got at the same time is doing brilliantly, scratching about, bright and alert, but I dont think the blubelle is going to make it. I've seen her drink and half heartedly peck at the growers pellets. Any idea of what could be wrong and what I should do next...I'm new to all this chick (pullet) keeping.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Helenaj

Re: Not looking good for one of the chicks :(
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 07:12 »
Did you say in an earlier post that they were 7 weeks old? It could be any number of things that you will need to eliminate -
1. How are her poos and her vent - do they look normal, no "paste", blood or blockages? 2. Could she have been eating her poo or any pellets that may have got damp on the pen floor.
3. Are the pellets you're using within their sell by date? Unless you buy by the sack it's difficult to prove how fresh the pellets may be.

Also give the breeder a ring that you bought them off - they may offer to replace her if the worse happens, or be able to pinpoint what the problem might be.

Best of luck and keep us posted!

Casey76

Re: Not looking good for one of the chicks :(
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 08:10 »
Do you know if they had been on growers long?

Many chick crombs have a coccidiostat incorporated, however it does "what it says on the tin" it stops the cocci from proliferating but it doesn't prevent the initial infection.

When the chicks come off crumbs and go onto growers (which isn't medicated) if the chicks have caught coccidiosis while on medicated crumbs, they can get a sudden illness when they switch to growers as the cocci are suddenly able to grow again.

Check for dark or overtly blooming poo.  If you can get hold of any coxoid it may be worth dosing their water for a week.

Fortunately they have passed the danger age for coccidiosis releated deaths (coccidiosis can kill in hours in very young chicks), but I would still be concerned.

xx
How old do chicks have to be to leave mum for good?

Started by ness on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 12:09
by ness
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
What good/not good to feed hens?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2007, 23:37
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 37 queries.