BLACKCURRANT PROBLEM

• 3 Replies

STAN-H

BLACKCURRANT PROBLEM
« on: May 09, 2011, 20:24 »
Can anyone help with a blackcurrant problem I have? I have a blackcurrant growing in a container which I planted last year & grew very well, this year I had a lot of blossom which has turned brown & the emerging leaves are very small & not growing. There is a new shoot coming from the base which has normal size leaves.
any help would be much appreciated :)

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
Re: BLACKCURRANT PROBLEM
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 21:01 »
Blackcurrants are hungry feeders that need to be kept in damp soil.

If you have not fed it since last year, it is quite probable that it has used all the nutrients in the container, and needs replensishing.  As a rule they dont do well in pots, unless they have a lot of room. 

My suggestion is to mulch it heavily with well rotted manure, and mix in some slow release fertiliser to keep it happy for the rest of the year.  If you have already topped it up, check to see if it is acidic.  They dont do well on acid soils, and a generous dusting of lime should also help.

Is it growing in the same place as last year or have you moved the pot it is in?  A sheltered sunny spot will be best.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 21:06 »
Welcome to the site Stan  :D

Feel free to pop into the welcome section to introduce yourself properly  :)

Please could you edit your forum profile to show your general location (click your username)?  Location and thus climate are often crucial bits of information when discussing how things grow.

For example, did you have a heavy frost last week where you are?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 08:06 »
My brother gave me a Blackcurrant bush he had in a tub and being of a fair size I decided to plant it in the garden - I read that they do better in the ground - I gave it some slow release fertilizer and kept it well watered and it is producing a good crop - there were a few small leaves to begin with but it is already showing lots of new growth with normal sized leaves - the only problem I am having now is the birds eating the berries off it  :D
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

xx
Blackcurrant problem - Big Bud?

Started by drooping daisy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 28, 2009, 21:21
by drooping daisy
xx
Blackcurrant problem

Started by Jome on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 21:06
by Aunt Sally
xx
Blackcurrant Leaf Problem

Started by Lastcast on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 21, 2012, 08:49
by sunshineband
xx
blackcurrant

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 15, 2012, 20:00
by allotment south wales

Page created in 0.823 seconds with 36 queries.