Growing asparagus from seed

• 8 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« on: May 09, 2011, 00:36 »
I'm thinking about growing some asparagus from seed; I have read that it is a successful method of propagation with a better transplant rate than using crowns. I am in no hurry for them so time is irrelevant. We can't afford to fill a bed with crowns
The bed where I plan to put them is currently in use with legumes and also mint but that is all going to be coming out at the end of the season and the bed will be given over to perennials - globe artichokes in half and asparagus in the other half separated by some cardoons.

My questions are:
1) Is seed propagation worth doing, any advice for variety ?
2) will the perennial bed work ?
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Growing asparagus from seed
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 01:59 »
My only thought is that these are all big plants and will .

need plenty off space between rows

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 06:41 »
I grew some asparagus from seed a few years ago and it was very easy and cheap to do.  I overwintered them first year in largish pots in a cold greenhouse and planted them out the following spring.

I've got 5 healthy cropping crowns now out of the 6, whereas the matching bed I planted with crowns only has 2 plants and 4 have failed.

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 09:47 »
I grew mine from seed as well "Connover's Colossal".  They were easy to germinate and I also grew them on in pots and planted them last year.  Lots of growth this year which I haven't harvested as I want the plants to establish well.  I must have about 20 in a  raised bed, to help with drainage.  Had to give lots of plants away as I had too many and I still have lots of seed left - must give it away!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2011, 11:09 »
Me too. Grew from seed, kept in 2L pots through the summer, and planted out the following Spring (having carefully unwound the roots and planted them with the roots laid about spider-shaped) each one on a mound of couple of handfuls of sharp-sand, in a raised bed.

Half of mine were an F1 all-male variety, and the other half Martha Washington (which is not all-male).

I'm sort of wishing I had planted all all-male, but I won't know until first crop (next year). Female ones will produce seed, which will self-sow, and which may become a problem in the future??

When I planted mine out (last Spring) the growth on them in that first Summer was massive compared to other folk who were posting pictures of the 1-year-old crowns they had planted, and the growth this year is equally impressive (well, to me at least!)

So hopefully its going to be a good result :)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2011, 11:11 by Kristen »

shuffle

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2011, 22:08 »
Me four - total novice last year and a friend gave me some asparagus seeds.  Out of about 25 all but one came up.  I put them in bigish pots and planted them out about a month ago.  The size of the crowns in the pots was huge - a lot bigger then the ones you see sold as year old crowns in the shops.

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 20:46 »
UPDATE:
I bought a packet of connover's colossal and thought I might as well give it a bash. I sowed half of them about 3 weeks ago (about 30) and they have been sitting in the kitchen doing, as I thought, nothing. I was just about to give up and reuse the compost when I noticed that a couple had started to poke very white heads through the soil. Fast forward to today, all of the seeds have germinated and are really looking like teeny tiny asparagus spears :) I am well made up.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 20:53 »
I planted some asparagus seed about two months ago. I have lots of little ferns in pots. they will go in the green house in the winter.

like you i am thrilled.  good luck

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 10:39 »
Delighted that you have updated us on your progress something that many, me included, fail to do.  Well done. :D

xx

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2015, 15:43
by Nobbie
xx
growing asparagus

Started by hugomont on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 05, 2012, 17:46
by DigIt
xx
asparagus re growing

Started by hermon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 14:55
by hermon
xx
Asparagus from seed: what next?

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:03
by barney rubble

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 37 queries.