Vines at Morrison's

• 3 Replies

ex-cavator

Vines at Morrison's
« on: May 08, 2011, 00:13 »
Our Morrison's store has recently added a garden section outside. Browsing today, I see they have vine plants for £4 each - they look pretty strong healthy specimens, with 3 or 4 'stalks' or canes in each pot and around 12" tall with plenty of foliage.

The label tends to indicate they can grow in any sunny spot against a wall or pergola for support, & you can restrict them to whatever height you fancy. And they suggest you might be fortunate enough to get a bunch of grapes this year.

I've got an ideal (?) spot between the front of my greenhouse & the rear wall of the garage, which is south facing. With a 6ft fence on the west side it's extremely well sheltered but a great little sun trap. I'm guessing this is ideal but how big, realistically, should I expect to let it grow, and can I leave it in a pot or should it go in the ground? Will I need to attach a frame or something to the wall for it to grab hold of? How would I care for it in the winter?

:wub:

Doddy

• Always learning
Re: Vines at Morrison's
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2011, 08:30 »
I'd be interested in the replies to this...

I bought one, black-grape, and placed it against the allotment fence on the southerly border in the 18" gap between the fence and the greenhouse, planning to train it along the fence.

I planted mine into the ground with a bit of rotted manure and back-fill with compost.

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2011, 09:30 »
Planting directly into the ground sounds a good idea to me. I think they need a fairly deep root run and are quite heavy feeders. You can train them to go where you want and keep them trimmed back to the size you want.

For a reasonable harvest I think you would need to do some pruning and thinning out so the growth / strength goes into the fruit and not all into excess vine. First you may need to concentrate upon training the vine to grow where you want it.

A friend of mine, with a beautiful old Sussex flint cottage, has one growing as a screen above her patio to shade the breakfast-room  ::) She has a good crop of small grapes but probably does not feed enough to gain larger fruit. I am not sure how far north any particular type of grape will grow and fruit.. might be worth checking.

Fruit in the first year? I think it'd be doubtful.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

lfcevans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2011, 11:59 »
We had one growing over a pergola and trimmed it back every year to a main stem that I had trained over the legth of our pergola (About 16ft).

We got lots of bunches of small grapes, which they did say were for eating or wine making. The grapes were small and full of seeds, so not really good for eating, and we didnt make wine, so we didnt do anything with them.

I did learn after, that we really should have gone through the whole crop and thinned the bunches down to make what was left to grow bigger, but we didnt ever do it.

I dug it up and moved it during this last winter, and it doesnt look as though it survived, so have bought a different variety to take its place.

I dont think you`d get anything from the vine this year though, and even if it started to produce something, it would be best to take them off and let the vine concentrate on making good root growth this year.....from what I was told  ;)

xx
Vines

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 24, 2013, 13:26
by Jim the builder
xx
Vines

Started by Rocinante on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2018, 22:53
by Rocinante
xx
Grape vines - what should I be doing?

Started by Fat Hen on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post September 17, 2010, 19:00
by joshbuchan
xx
Squash vines

Started by Pompey Spud on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 18:37
by zazen999

Page created in 1.822 seconds with 36 queries.