Chooks and Aircraft Noise?

• 15 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« on: August 31, 2007, 11:52 »
Hi All,

Been too busy to get on here recently, what with study and work,

but ive managed very nearly to complete the chook house and run (hurrah!), just needs a bit of caulk between some of the boards. (piccies to follow on my blog, when i get time)

Its just started to worry me a little though - how will chooks react to, and how soon will they get used to, aircraft noise? I live close to Sherburn airfield, and often have light aircraft fly over. They are not too noisy, except the odd occasion the local P51 Mustang comes over at treetop height (which i love) with his superhcarged merlin engine, and the military stuff stays clear and high (being close to RAF Church Fenton MATZ stops them coming too low, but the odd tornado or buffoon, sorry, typhoon sometimes does a low level pass), but despite the low noise from light planes they can be very regular on weekends or if theres an event on.
Im more worried about helicopter noise really as the chaps at Healds aviation seem to like making as much racket as they can.

Im hoping to get the chooks in about a month, after my holiday, probably welsummers or a similar hybrid, if i can find some near selby :D
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

jack russell

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2007, 12:13 »
hi zac

with all that noise i would simply move :evil:

no ifs or buts

cheers

jr
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 12:21 »
I'd be in my element!  

I work just outside of Crook and we often have tornados flying past at low level and it's great!  Having said that; it's because I was a Brit Brat (dad was in the forces) and grew up with these.

Anyhooo,  back to the question at hand, a few of the local residents around our site have hens and they don't seem to be put off by these flying by at all.

Probably would just get used to it, although all of the chook books I have read say that they wouldn't - proof is in the pudding I suppose!

HTH
Su

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 12:35 »
i love it myself! especially when laddo is out in the P51, he usually announces his arival with a high roll, then comes back hedge hight along the field at the back. By the time my mind has made the connection of Droning whine = merlin engine, hes already in the climb. I know how boys must have felt during the war stood by the local 'field watching the spitfires :lol:  The other great thing to watch are the tiny Pitts aerobatic biplanes

The low, fast stuff is very rare (though not as rare as the high rockwell B1s i saw once), more likely is the orbiting AWACS sentry, but thats silent (cept on the radio)

my dad was an SAC movements but came out just before i was born, so was never a padbrat myself, but grew up close to RAF finningley.

Its the light planes that are common, but not too noisy. I think they will be ok with it once they get used to it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 12:44 »
They soon get used to it Zak.  We are not too far from several RAF places here in Lincolnshire, and we are famous for low flying aircraft around here, even makes me poo myself at times the noise they make!

Also the garden back onto the A52 and the chook runs are right next to it.  Sometimes the noise makes them dash for the house, but not often now!  They'll be okay!

WG.

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2007, 12:46 »
I don't keep chooks but my neighbour does.  Being in a sparsely populated glen, we get frequent low level fly-pasts from RAF Kinloss and RAF Lossiemouth.   And these guys are really MOVING.  The noise can be quite deafening & I can't say my neighbour has ever mentioned it.

I'll ask him next time I see him.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2007, 12:49 »
I guess they will get used to it, after all, there natural predators may be airborne but they are normally quiet!

yep, plenty of airfields in lincolnshire, and all pretty close to each other, if they can get used to that i recon they can get used to a few cessnas. Although i have to say ive not seen much in the way of chooks commercially close to airfields, seems pigfarming is the norm for next to airfields (must be the sandy ground)

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2007, 12:59 »
Perhaps pigs are deaf????  :D  :D

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2007, 13:03 »
:lol: dont know about that, but i recon they cant smell :D

GrannieAnnie

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2007, 13:05 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Actually they can, but they are like my OH, don't care!!!!! lol

ooooh I'm wicked!!!    :twisted:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 18:46 »
I live near to Boscombe Down and Middle Wallop so we get a fair amount of aircraft noise of all sorts, jets, helicopters etc and after the first few times they get used to it.  Just wish I could :(

The Geese still hate the helicopter gunships that come over, don't know why maybe its the shape :oops:

Le Chant

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2007, 22:09 »
We have French Army jets screaming over here from time to time. They only fly on nice days though so God forbid there's ever a war in winter for France!  I always used to go to Finningley Air Display when I was a yoof...fantastic times they were. I remember seeing a Rockwell B1 too, as well as Concorde landing there one year. Hope my chooks get used to the jets here, don't want 'em scared by those, they'll have enough on coping with inquisitive kids next summer! :D

cluckingmad

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2007, 11:00 »
We frequently have RAF helicopters flying over (training local at Shawbury) - sometimes quite low! and my chooks seem to be fine with it  :)
Lost, yesterday, somewhere between sunrise and sunset, two golden hours, each set with sixty minutes.  No reward is offered for they are gone forever. (Horace Mann)

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2007, 12:46 »
Like Grannie Annie I live in Lincolnshire in a Village just outside Grantham so I guess I experience the same low flying planes too!  They are not very frequent but my god they scare me!  The cat too is terrified of them and freaks out running off into the field, he has even thrown up in fright a few times.  The first time after I got the chooks I ruched round to their pen expecting them to have all died of heart failure but no, they were quite at peace digging for worms.  They are completely nonplussed by the whole thing, so luckily its just me and the cat who are scared witless!  I used to live under the flight path to Heathrow hence my move to the wonderfully peaceful (99% of the time) Lincolnshire!

muntjac

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2007, 15:28 »
sorry mate it can upset ya bird for the first seasonthen they get used to it last war the keepers sued the RAF cos of lost egg production  :lol:
still alive /............

xx
New noise.

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 19:17
by raeburg
xx
Noise?

Started by francais on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 20:13
by grumpydad
exclamation
cockerel noise and the law

Started by freebirdy on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 22, 2012, 18:33
by Tony H
xx
Noise Levels?

Started by darrena on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 08, 2010, 21:40
by janet12000

Page created in 0.338 seconds with 37 queries.