Help! My potatoes have all died!

• 4 Replies

GinnyB

Help! My potatoes have all died!
« on: May 05, 2011, 20:46 »
We're first time veg growers and in early March we planted 'rocket' potatoes which have been doing great until today.  We've just discovered that every single plant (42 in total) has died, the bottoms of the plants look green and healthy but the tops have withered and died - they almost look scorched.  The last time they were watered & checked was Monday when they were all looking fine.  It doesn't seem to look like potato blight (but as I said we're not that experienced).  To make matters worse the rabbits ate all the cauliflowers and cabbages as soon as they started to sprout!  Any advice/thoughts on the demise of our potatoes much appreciated...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Help! My potatoes have all died!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 20:48 »
You probably had a hard frost which kills the tops of the potatoes if they are not earthed up fully to protect them when frost is forecast. :(

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 20:51 »
It sounds like frost damage.  They should survive and grow new leaves.  I would leave them in the ground a couple of weeks longer than you were intending and I hope you should be fine.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

GinnyB

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 20:54 »
Thanks guys! What a great forum. I didn't realise they were such sensitive little souls, we'll give them plenty of mulch & hope for the best.  Such a shame as we've been getting very excited at watching out first efforts grow.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 21:38 »
Don't worry Ginny, I planted mine out last year and had the same issue with a very late frost! I though I had lost the lot but they seemed fine. Just fed them plenty and they took a little longer to mature but i didn't seem to have less of a yield than the year before. Stick with them!

Steve

xx
Why have my Christmas potatoes died?

Started by Honey65 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2013, 14:52
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Rhubarb has all died

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 11, 2012, 18:25
by frizzy
xx
My shallots died

Started by nipper31 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 07, 2019, 06:59
by snowdrops
xx
Asparagus looks like it died?

Started by Under The Hill on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 29, 2016, 21:45
by Trikidiki

Page created in 0.444 seconds with 37 queries.