help with plot

• 5 Replies

gutterman

help with plot
« on: May 05, 2011, 17:07 »
hello im new to this site i need help regarding my garden my garden has been coverd in a pvc sheet with chippings for 8 years now but i would like to grow vegitabules in it do i need to treat it or will in be ok just to put seeds in

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: help with plot
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 19:24 »
Welcome to the site  :D

I suspect if you removed the sheet you'd find that the soil was very compacted underneath.  Assuming that it was watertight, the soil is likely to need significant aeration and feeding because it's been starved of air / water / nutrients for those 8 years.

Once you've got the sheet off, dig a small patch to see whether there appear to be any weed roots in there.  The nasties are generally either fine yellow (nettles) or white - bindweed / ground elder / couch grass (like piano wire).  Not sure what colour marestail roots are.

You may well be lucky after 8 years of being covered, and have no evidence of this.  If no evidence, you could rotavate straightaway instead of digging.  If there is evidence, I think you'll need to dig the roots out - or weedkill them once the plants are actively growing.

Once the soil is dug / rotavated, I'd suggest that you add some organic matter such as compost / manure / soil improver.  This improves the soil structure.

You could probably also do with some fertiliser - probably growmore or fish blood bone as that's a general purpose fertiliser.

After that, come back and ask us about what you're planning to grow - best to use separate threads for that!

It will also help us to answer more specific growing questions if you could edit your forum profile to show your general location (click your username).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

grosmont50

• PAUL
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 09:12 »
im new plot grower and green as hell, work out of 3 allotment books and listen to any advice given not knowing if its true or old wifes tales,eg, urine is great for my plot , is this true or is my adviser just taking the p...

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2011, 09:27 »
im new plot grower and green as hell, work out of 3 allotment books and listen to any advice given not knowing if its true or old wifes tales,eg, urine is great for my plot , is this true or is my adviser just taking the p...
Not the plot you'll get arrested!
Its good for your compost heap, as it speeds up decomposing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2011, 10:00 »
Bob Flowerdew uses it diluted as a fertiliser.
In his books it's always called 'personal liquid waste'  :lol: :lol:

As already said it's a good compost heap activator as well :)

grosmont50

• PAUL
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 12:14 »
Bob Flowerdew uses it diluted as a fertiliser.
In his books it's always called 'personal liquid waste'  :lol: :lol:

As already said it's a good compost heap activator as well :)
thanks for your time and advice all much appreciated

xx
my plot - new growers plot thanks to advice from you all

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 22, 2007, 19:23
by brucesgirl
xx
My First Plot - Plot 21 is confirmed

Started by SCassin on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 15:04
by Yorkie
xx
Plot

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 08:28
by muntjac
xx
My first plot..

Started by Sideways on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 25, 2008, 18:02
by sclarke624

Page created in 0.45 seconds with 38 queries.