Overgrown raspberries

• 4 Replies

SARAHEK69

Overgrown raspberries
« on: May 04, 2011, 19:13 »
We've just taken on a new allotment (2 weeks!) and cleared a quarter of it already. A lot of back breaking work. A part of the plot seems to have a lot of what seem to be overgrown raspberry canes in there. Possibly other berries as well but hard to tell due to the weeds. There seems to be new shoots coming up all over the plot as well. (Raspberries still?) I'd like to try and keep them if possible. Any tips on how to clear them? Especially the new shoots appearing all over the place. Do I just have to dig them all up and just try and save a few of them? I don't want to use weed killer. We're trying to be as organic as is possible. Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

sawnee

• Experienced Member
Re: Overgrown raspberries
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 19:47 »
I'm afraid the only way to clear them is dig it over and get as much of the root out as poss, they are not like blckberry and are not too bad at re-appearing.
You should be able to save the new shoots and replant them where you want them.
"You must cut down the mightiest Oak of the forest,with a ......... Herring!"
(Holy Grail)

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 20:56 »
Raspberries are quite shallow rooted, it would be easier in the long run to completely dig out the rasps clearing the weeds as you go. Then prepare the new ground well with plenty of rotted manure and replant the raspberries. That way you should get a bumper crop next year, but nothing much this year.

The downside is this dry weather, providing you can water daily until established they should be fine.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

grenhouse

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 22:27 »
My autumn fruiting rasps have gone bonkers! They have spread over 6 feet either side. I kept a 'strip' of canes of about 2 ft wide, places rope either side and dug out everything. But if you have a patch of established rasp canes don't dig them all up, leave some in they are great!

steve

SARAHEK69

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 13:26 »
Thanks for all the help. That's this weekend booked up. Long sleeved shirts then.

exclamation
Very Overgrown Allotment

Started by Supergiles on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 16:38
by Starling
xx
Overgrown Plot

Started by sheldon1000 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2010, 22:06
by Elcie
xx
Overgrown fennel

Started by Jo Bo on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 28, 2020, 20:18
by Jo Bo
xx
My 'new' allotment - all overgrown

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 27, 2018, 17:52
by Silva

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 35 queries.