Rhubarb?

• 9 Replies

neenyneen

Rhubarb?
« on: May 04, 2011, 15:43 »
can chickens eat rhubarb or their leaves? my boss has an allotment and keeps bringing me all his unwanted greenery e.g. carrot leaves, cabbage etc. He has lots and lots of rhubarb and wants to know if i want it!  :D
love my chickens me! :-)

evie2

Re: Rhubarb?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 16:02 »
Rhubarb leaves are poisons neenyneen
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

mr.mellow

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 16:07 »
My chickens eat Rhubarb leaves, they strip the leaves off the plant with no ill effects.

RacingCar

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 16:39 »
Mine have eaten the leaves off my rhubarb.

In general though, my hens don't touch any greenery that isn't growing, like leaves we give them. But they free-range over the whole garden - I suspect they turn up their noses at picked veg.

neenyneen

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 16:50 »
Rhubarb leaves are poisons neenyneen
My chickens eat Rhubarb leaves, they strip the leaves off the plant with no ill effects.

ooh, quite confused now! any other thoughts  ??? :wacko:

Casey76

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 16:58 »
It is oxalic acid in the rhubarb leaves which is toxic, however you have to consume a LOT of it for there to be much toxic effect.

My chickens won't touch cut rhubarb, but they happily shred the leaves of growing plants :)

Manoir51

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 17:08 »
our chickens will not eat the rhubarb leaves, so as far as I am concerned, if they dont eat it, its not good for them.

Carla

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2011, 18:53 »
My chickens have totally destroyed my rhubarb plant, every leaf that shot through got munched up. Seems there's some conflicting opinions...I always thought nature taught animals what they should and shouldnt eat?? Wouldnt have thought they'd eat something that would harm them?? Well mine ate some and they're still alive and kicking.
Many pets, a bloke and 2 kids....help!!!

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 22:08 »
My sister in law's chickens happily raid her garden for rhubarb leaves.  My advice would be this:

If they have free-range and lots of choice and still eat rhubarb leaves, then let them make their own choices and eat whatever they want.

BUT

If they are confined and/or don't have many other choices of greenery, don't offer them rhubarb leaves to eat.  Their good judgement may be swayed by boredom or lack of other options, and they may eat more than is good for them.

ManicMum

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 16:44 »
Our girls are in large area/run - they love an armful of garden weeds and reduce the heap to nothing very quickly.  I put in all sorts of common weeds (by the carrier bag, bucket or barrow-full) & occasionally a couple of rhubarb leaves which they love.

I think they probably shouldn't have too much rhubarb, but I try to supply as much variety as I can to provide them with interest.
ManicMum

xx
Rhubarb

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post May 25, 2008, 19:28
by babe
xx
rhubarb!

Started by thats1crazylady on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 03, 2012, 13:09
by nic_28
xx
rhubarb

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 08, 2014, 17:37
by sussexchook
xx
Rhubarb rhubarb

Started by Gloria on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 13, 2007, 17:42
by MontyTom

Page created in 0.525 seconds with 37 queries.