Cockerel Spur removal

• 6 Replies

Manoir51

Cockerel Spur removal
« on: May 04, 2011, 09:33 »
Does anyone have any opinions on cockerel spur removal?  I have heard that it can prevent damage to the hens when the cockerel treads her.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 20:35 by Ice »

Helenaj

Re: Cokerel Spur removal
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 09:40 »
We removed the spurs (or rather reduced it by two thirds) on my Welsummer cockerel last year. The new ones that grew back were more of a spike than the ones we removed, so we are now in a continuous maintenance cycle as the "new" spurs are a lot sharper than the ones we cut off.
It does prevent damage to your hens, but only if your cockerel takes a fancy to a particular hen. If he treads them all equally, I wouldn't have thought much damage would result, depending on the number of hens you keep.

Manoir51

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 10:05 »
Thank you, we do have a problem at the moment with a couple of our hens looking a bit sore with a lot of feather loss on their backs.  I am giving chicken saddles a try next.

evie2

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 17:51 »
Having never had the need to do this or seen it being done, I googled :ohmy:

I'm off to sit in a quiet corner now and think nice thoughts :(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 19:31 »
We were told by an old gent how to do it and it works really well! You need two small salad potatoes (I kid you not!) that have been boiled and are still quite warm, but not hot enough to cause a burn. place one on each spur and lightly tie a rag around each leg to prevent the cockerel pulling the potatoes off - you'll need to separate the cockerel from the rest of the flock to do this. Wait an hour and then remove the potato and gently trim the spur as it should now be really soft. Be very careful not to cut two far down as there is a blood supply about two thirds of the way up the spur. If you do accidentally cut too far and it bleeds, use wound powder to stop the flow of blood (flour or baby talc would do at a push). Once the bleeding has stopped, spray with purple spray to prevent infection and return the cockerel to the flock, but keep an eye to make sure that it does not start bleeding again.
The only thing is as I said, the spurs will grow back. I did not much fancy the other method of permanent removal as I don't have the stomach to cause that much pain to one of my birds, so trimming works for me!

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 19:42 »
The way I've done it in the past is fairly similar to the last post. However I would have thought that having warm potatoes and rags tied to the cockerels legs for an hour might be a bit stressful so the way I do it is to have one person hold the cockerel and the other uses a hack saw to trim off the sharp tips. Not too much as you don't want to catch the quick and make him bleed. Once you have removed the sharp ends use medium and then fine sandpaper to round and rub the sharp edges made by the hack saw to a gentle curve so that when he treads his ladies it won't cause damage. The whole process should only take you five minutes or so for each spur. Just think manicure!

Orchardlady.

orchardlady

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 20:09 »
tqF-dHyxQkc
I found this gentle and calm video on U Tube. Now while it looks very simple I think that all that will happen is the nice soft 'under' spur will rapidly harden and of course remain pointy.

I think that I would still advise to rub down the point rather than remove the whole outer spur.

Orchardlady

xx
Spur removal.

Started by Le Coq on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 22, 2007, 22:25
by Aunt Sally
xx
Question for munty about spur removal

Started by woodburner on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post December 21, 2008, 13:30
by woodburner
xx
Hen with Spur ??

Started by Oakdalebirds on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 06, 2011, 13:51
by Flowerpower136
xx
Hen not laying and spur type protusions growing

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 26, 2013, 12:55
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 36 queries.