steamy steamy

• 41 Replies

flowergirl

steamy steamy
« on: August 30, 2007, 13:32 »
hi just brought a cheap steamer, has anyone got any recipes to try out?can you cook meat in them or is it just veg and fishy things?

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
steamy steamy
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 14:07 »
I'm not sure I've ever come across a "steamed meat" recipe - sounds strangely gross!

My steamer is used almost exclusivly for veggies and rice.

If you like your veggies tasting "natural" (ie, of veggies), then steamers are great because they hold the flavour and the nutrients in better than boiling. They can sometimes take a little longer to cook (depending on how crunchy you like them).

I find my steamer makes the best rice I've ever had - although you do have to keep an eye on it as the rice absorbs a lot of water and it's easy for the reservoir to run dry - at which point you end up with a congealed rice discus!

Lots of people love steamed fish - I find it a bit bland boring and tend to prefer my fish in curries. (But that's almost a soundtrack to my life!)
Veg? That's chips, innit?

WG.

steamy steamy
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 14:16 »
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"
tend to prefer my fish in curries
How about a recipe or two please?  I love curried prawns but wouldn't have thought to use other fish.

Lesley Jay

• http://www.vegetable-gardens.co.uk/forum
steamy steamy
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 19:06 »
Boneless chicken portions are nice steamed as they don't dry out. Rice pudding is lovely made in the steamer.

flowergirl

steamy steamy
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 19:24 »
i love rice pud how would you do this?

Little Miss Muffet

• calnetalk
steamy steamy
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 20:20 »
veg is great steamed especilly new potatos with mint.best think ever for a steamer though has to be fish.it stinks your house out but the fish keeps its flavour and the dosnt dry out.

never done meat in mine though

ytyynycefn

• http://www.ytyynycefn.com/5.html
steamy steamy
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 20:53 »
At this time of year, our steamer is pretty busy with salad spuds boiling in the bottom water bit, carrots in the next tier, and halfway through the cooking time, another tier is added with beans and peas.  I've got one of those steamers which is basically a saucepan with two baskets that stack on the top, not a clever electric jobbie.  I've not tried fish or meat in it, though, I prefer them with a bit of colour ;-)

brucesgirl

steamy steamy
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2007, 21:05 »
I steam all our veg, and also salmon. I also have one of the old-fashioned sort. I put spuds in the water in the bottom, hard veg like carrots in the first basket and more delicate things like beans or spinach, which don't take so long in the top basket. I then make the gravy in the water which contains all the goodness from the veg.
It is also really quick to wash up.
I can't remember steaming any meat though.

flowergirl

steamy steamy
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 21:11 »
yum just eaten pots and beans grown on the plot cooked in the steamer wow who needs meat!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
steamy steamy
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 21:12 »
We steam our veg in a 3 tier electric steamer that cost about a tenner from T*sco. Saves energy as you can do 3 lots at the same time.

Not done any meat in it, only fish, but I'd have thought something like brisket of beef, which you'd boil, would be suitable for steaming.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
steamy steamy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 13:31 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"
tend to prefer my fish in curries
How about a recipe or two please?  I love curried prawns but wouldn't have thought to use other fish.

Should I post 'em here or is there  recipe thread?

Lesley Jay

steamy steamy
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2007, 13:53 »
Rice pudding made in a steamer. Use the rice dish that came with the steamer or a pyrex dish that fits. You need 3 and a half ounzes of pudding rice, 1 tablespoon of sugar and 1 pint of semi skimmed milk.  It needs to steam for 75 minutes. My steamer lasts for 60 minutes so I just top it up for the last 15 minutes. This is the only way my OH will eat rice pudding.

muntjac

steamy steamy
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2007, 13:54 »
i have pressure cookers and use em all the time for gammon joints chicken rabbit etc .i cook about everything in mine ,never done rice pudding cos i cant stand the stuff  :lol:
still alive /............

WG.

steamy steamy
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2007, 13:55 »
Wot, no raisins LJ?  :(

Lesley Jay

steamy steamy
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2007, 14:03 »
Quote from: "whisky_golf"
Wot, no raisins LJ?  :(

No! My OH would go mad if I messed around with his rice pud!!

Page created in 0.47 seconds with 37 queries.