frost 2011

• 106 Replies

catmint

Re: frost 2011
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2011, 22:22 »
My plot was hitted by frost as well. The potato leaves became black.  :( Is there any chance they can recover? :(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: May 04, 2011, 22:25 »
catmint, please read my earlier post, which I believe answers your question ::)

Paul Plots

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2011, 01:32 »
My plot was hitted by frost as well. The potato leaves became black.  :( Is there any chance they can recover? :(

mumofstig said "Yes"  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Salmo

« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2011, 10:10 »
Given some rain, or a can of water, they should grow more leaves rapidly. In a three weeks time you will have tops again. The yield may be hit quite badly with earlies but main crop should be OK.

catmint

« Reply #49 on: May 05, 2011, 20:30 »
Thank you mumofstig, learner and salmo. Fingers cross...

grendel

« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2011, 21:09 »
my other half plot wasnt hit nearly as bad, just a few blackened leaf edges, obviously the more exposed plot less than a mile from the sheltered one didnt suffer so much from the frost.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

davethespread

Re: Air frost........
« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2011, 08:50 »
Frost here in Tonbridge last night. Car windscreen quite white so fairly cold. I hope my fellow plot holders covered their spuds as there are a lot through with this warm weather...  :ohmy:

Oh dear, only the site manager got his fleece out. Nearly all of 15 plots with pots, one had cues outdoors too, have had them frosted .....  :( 

Not a good sight down there today with some of the plot holders very upset......

don't people look at the weather forecasts then :unsure:  you really must at this time of year :ohmy:
i do mum and the local forecaster said from the midlands up will have frost not below.normally out of safety i cover with strw laden manure but being on crutches made it very difficult,hence mucho burnt haulms,where i earthed up high as i could it burnt to the ground level :( last year others on our plots got caught out but as you said they did recover. ;)
i dont suffer with insanity..........i enjoy every minute of it.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2011, 09:06 »
 :( dave,  :mad: forecasting then.

I find metcheck good for frost warning, if anything it errs on the cold side but I'd rather that than get caught out by the frost :ohmy:

troubrs

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2011, 21:04 »
I have 2 allotments on 2 different plots. On one plot, everyone has completely lost potatoes - flat & very sorry. On the other allotment, just a few scorched leaves, & luckily this was the plot I decided to put my potatoes in this year - only 1/2 of them through yet & about 25% damaged, but I hope they'll recover, they all have some green leaves left (should I cut off the damaged leaves?)
One of my neighbours had already planted out about 30 tomato plants & lost the lot - I did worry when I saw them go out a week or two ago.
Last year we had a frost on May 15th here in mid Essex & I lost all my potatoes, so am keeping extra vigilant this year & not risking anything growing in pots leaving my garden - moved into conservatory when frost forecast like last week!

Paul Plots

« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 23:09 »
I have 2 allotments on 2 different plots. On one plot, everyone has completely lost potatoes - flat & very sorry. On the other allotment, just a few scorched leaves, & luckily this was the plot I decided to put my potatoes in this year - only 1/2 of them through yet & about 25% damaged, but I hope they'll recover, they all have some green leaves left (should I cut off the damaged leaves?)
One of my neighbours had already planted out about 30 tomato plants & lost the lot - I did worry when I saw them go out a week or two ago.
Last year we had a frost on May 15th here in mid Essex & I lost all my potatoes, so am keeping extra vigilant this year & not risking anything growing in pots leaving my garden - moved into conservatory when frost forecast like last week!

If it were me I'd leave the potatoes to recover and not cut anything back - it would do more harm than good I think.

(Even down here on the sunny and fairly mild south coast I've not risked putting runner beans or anything tender out yet. For what you gain in being early or first to plant out you risk losing the lot and a later planting does equally well in the end.)

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 09:53 »
I really hope all the frost burned potatoes regrow. Some of the posts on here were very disheartening. Flintwickone, I would be gutted too but I do hope some new shoots appear soon.  I have 4, 13ft rows of spuds in back garden wasn't feeling too well but forced myself to cover with fleece, am glad I did now. Even after 2 days and nights with fleece on a few of the leaves looked scorched.

So going forward what chance of frost in the next week or two and which are the most reliable sites for forecasting, I note mumofstig's recommendation of metcheck.  Any others that people regularly use ?

I am just wondering when to put the rest of my courgettes, pumpkins, squashes and cuces out also I have newly germinated french beans. I am in west yorks, I had originally thought spring bank for the beans but am tempted to put out earlier due to warm weather. But obviously after this latest frost am rethinking this.

MoreWhisky

« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 10:35 »
I really hope all the frost burned potatoes regrow. Some of the posts on here were very disheartening. Flintwickone, I would be gutted too but I do hope some new shoots appear soon.  I have 4, 13ft rows of spuds in back garden wasn't feeling too well but forced myself to cover with fleece, am glad I did now. Even after 2 days and nights with fleece on a few of the leaves looked scorched.

So going forward what chance of frost in the next week or two and which are the most reliable sites for forecasting, I note mumofstig's recommendation of metcheck.  Any others that people regularly use ?

I am just wondering when to put the rest of my courgettes, pumpkins, squashes and cuces out also I have newly germinated french beans. I am in west yorks, I had originally thought spring bank for the beans but am tempted to put out earlier due to warm weather. But obviously after this latest frost am rethinking this.

Im working on hopefully putting my 'summer' stuff out in a couple of weeks.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 10:50 »
Mine aim to go out first week of June.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

andtiggertoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 15:03 »
Thanks to the yorkshire posters. I might put half out in a couple of weeks with MoreWhisky and keep the rest back til Spring bank week which is beginning of June this year.

grendel

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 18:36 »
just been down my plot, and my potatoes have all regrown around the dead and blackened bits. so it looks like we are ok here at least.
Grendel

xx
Frost!

Started by VeggieVirgin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 26, 2010, 21:31
by pigeonpie
xx
Last frost?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 23:14
by woodburner
xx
The Frost!

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 00:15
by Paul Plots
xx
Frost!

Started by FatGaz on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 07:21
by Sven The Swede

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 39 queries.