Sensitivity to nettles?

• 14 Replies

Casey76

Sensitivity to nettles?
« on: May 02, 2011, 15:03 »
This is really starting to nark!  I don't know if I have the stingiest nettles on the planet, or if I'm just über sensitive.

On saturday I managed to get stung on two fingers through light gardening gloves.  although they didn't blister (urticarial reaction) they are still tingling away now, more than 48 hours after the event, and I still have some huge ones to pull up.

Any idea on how I can reduce this sensitivity? It is annlying, becasue anything which evokes a histiminic response plays havoc with my asthma, and I've maanged to avoid antihisitimes so far this year, but I'm using my inhaler a lot.

Also, can someone confirm that some nettles don't sting?  They are all getting treat with kid gloves and much hesitation at the moment :(

lancashiregardeninggal

Re: Sensitivity to nettles?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 16:48 »
Chances are there are some dock leaves nearby - I bruise them and rub them hard over the sting for a few minutes (sorry if you have already done this) also I dig them and pick 'em up by the roots rather than pull at them :)
'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 16:50 »
Surely beter to use thick gardening gloves and a thick jumper with long sleeves pulled down to cover all of your arms (much easier than trying to desensitize your immune system to the allergen!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 16:53 »
This is really starting to nark!  I don't know if I have the stingiest nettles on the planet, or if I'm just über sensitive.

On saturday I managed to get stung on two fingers through light gardening gloves.  although they didn't blister (urticarial reaction) they are still tingling away now, more than 48 hours after the event, and I still have some huge ones to pull up.

I had this type of reaction to nettles recently, for the first time ever. :( It was very strange... I have never heard of a type of nettle which doesn't sting. :(
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 17:02 »
An old guy where I used to have an allotment reckoned that he had become 'de-sensitised' over the years to nettles and demonstrated  :nowink:  I agree with Jay though - I wouldn't risk a nettle sting as I also have asthma :)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 17:24 »
I find that if you DON'T rub with doc or rub the area after you have been stung, and instead perhaps just ignore it (I know, easier said than done) that it doesn't illicit the itch and bumps.

I'm sure if you had some hand hot water handy (again, easier said) to pour on the area, the actual hairs that have 'stung' would just wilt and maybe not be such a problem?

hope you find a solution soon - it's a nightmare when you can't stop scratching and thinking about them  :(

Babstreefern

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 18:09 »
Are you happily married/living together?  If so, get OH to do it :D - easy
Babs

fatcat1955

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 20:44 »
A weed called dead nettle doesn't sting. Resembles a nettle closely although a lighter shade of green, even the flowers resemble nettle flowers.

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 21:10 »
In your actual France this might not be an event worthy of note but here in Blighty there is going to be a
"National be nice to nettles" week in late May.

http://www.nettles.org.uk/

each to their own.  :nowink:
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

sion01

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 21:16 »
i had the same reaction about 4 years ago and had to get a tube of jolop from the chemist.I think it was called anthisan,it did the job(on the hands not the nettles unfortunatly) I've come to the conclusion that they containe more of the 4 chemicals that cause the sting at some time's of the year(histamines,acetylcholine,tartaric acid and oxalic acid)

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 23:24 »
In your actual France this might not be an event worthy of note but here in Blighty there is going to be a
"National be nice to nettles" week in late May.

http://www.nettles.org.uk/

each to their own.  :nowink:

well, actually, we wouldn't have some of our more beautiful species of butterflies if it wasn't for the old stinging nettle tbh and I've heard it's very nice as a spinach substitute if picked when young.... might try to feed it to my lot that are coming over for tea on friday... ;)

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 07:12 »
I've heard it's very nice as a spinach substitute if picked when young.... might try to feed it to my lot that are coming over for tea on friday... ;)

Makes a lovely soup. :)

Casey76

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 07:54 »
Well i really don't mind leaving one or two for the bees (and I've relly enjoysed watching various types of bumble bees over the past two weeks), but i really object to having a carpet of nettles!

I have a few varieties of nettle, one of which easily grows to 6' high if I let it.

Fortunately most are shallow rooted, but I've found if I leave just a tiny piece it comes back with a vengence!

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:16 »
I've found that if you use a garden fork to get under the shallow roots you can tease them out like electrical cable - no chemicals needed, but as you say, you have to get all of them otherwise they will just take over again  :ohmy:

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 17:42 »
I use Wilko's black washing-up gloves for nettles and don't get stung - and they're cheap too as are their cream leather gardening gloves which I use for pruning and shredding.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

xx
Nettles!

Started by Frog on General Gardening

23 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 08:44
by compostqueen
xx
Nettles

Started by chicken soup on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 09:01
by blackbob
xx
nettles

Started by RuthLG on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post May 16, 2012, 16:18
by RichardA
xx
Nettles

Started by MoreWhisky on General Gardening

15 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 09:13
by aelf

Page created in 0.229 seconds with 38 queries.