how early do chickens get up

• 6 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
« on: August 29, 2007, 22:57 »
I set my alarm for 6 am every morning to open my hen house and then I go to bed until its time for me to get up.  What time do others let them out in hte morning.  When my children are at school we are up and let them out at about 7.15am.  sometimes they jump straight out but sometimes they come out at their leisure. :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2007, 23:32 »
Usually when it gets light Shazzer.  Sometimes our girls get let out at 5am when hubby can't sleep, or sometimes its 8am if we have a lay in!!!  And they go to bed as it starts to get dark!

Chickybaby

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2007, 10:45 »
Hiya
My hens are getting up at about 5.50am at the moment and going to bed around 8.30pm. In a way I'm glad the mornings are a bit darker now, they were getting up at 4.30am not so long ago! I let them out as soon as I hear them, otherwise they squawk the place down.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2007, 16:10 »
My girls are silent in the mornings in their Eglu.  I let them out at about 7.30am.

jammy

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2007, 22:50 »
Hi - My girls are very good in the morning and make no noise until you let them out.  As its the school holidays they get let out between 8.30 and 9 depending on who's up first and during term time its between 8 and 8.30.  They dont have any food in their house over night but they do have water though I dont think they touch it, it just makes me feel happier lol.  Sometimes they come straight out and sometimes it takes a while - the other day i opened them up at around 8.30 and they didnt bother making an entrance until 9.15!

KJ

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 12:41 »
My other half leaves for work around 4.30am, if he remembers he kindly lets my girls out for me and they are raring to go.  If he forgets then its down to me so it can be anytime from 6am to 9am. On a weekend its usually nearer 9am and they are making a right racket to be let free by this stage!  They are starting to go to bed earlier now the light is fading, it was 10pm but has crept back to 8.30pm now.  My partner has said he will make me an automatic door opener/closer so I don't have to worry about letting them out early which is something you could consider.  I prefer to let mine out myself and see they are tucked away safely at night if not I would worry!

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2007, 15:26 »
when the light hits thier combs they wake up n when its to dark to see each other they sleep ,,,,,, :roll:
still alive /............

xx
Chickens going to bed early

Started by JMF on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 08:14
by Sassy
xx
How to stop my chickens early alarm call!

Started by viks chicks on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 07:53
by Jellyhead
xx
When to introduce young chickens to older chickens?

Started by wardy on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 14, 2014, 21:15
by barley
xx
chickens - do I need to keep my dog form fouling where the chickens roam

Started by tracybro on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 20:54
by Kym503

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 36 queries.