Tomatoes in the open NOW...

• 16 Replies

Growster...

Tomatoes in the open NOW...
« on: May 01, 2011, 20:28 »
I've always grown too many toms.  I sow them in trays in the conservatory, give them a run-out in the greenhouse, and pot them on and keep them in various places until the inevitable chuck-out occurs, and the last stragglers get too leggy and get binned...

We keep a dozen or so in the greenhouse, and several more (thirty or so) in all sorts of other places around the house, just to ensure that any blight, disease etc., didn't take the lot.

This year, to economise, I've just grown Alicante - no others, and yesterday, I popped nine in a sheltered area down on the plot a few hundred yards away. If they get concerned and worried, then I'll try and cover them, but, if the weather is kind, I may just get some great early outside chaps, and will be a winner!

So what if they die off? Well, they were seedlings, hardened off, ready for action, getting wound up to go, and had cost me just a penny or two to bring on, so why not give it a go?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Tomatoes in the open NOW...
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 20:31 »
It would be interesting to see your results Growster.  Ive always been too much of a chicken to risk it
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 20:35 »
It would be interesting to see your results Growster.  Ive always been too much of a chicken to risk it

It's a risk Peapod - but the toms are just festering in their pots, and looking a bit sad, and also beginning to sneer at other non-leggy plants, so why not give them their head, and let them off the leash?

I'll be the first to hold up my hand and say "I got it wrong", if they fail...;0)

Nige2Plots

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 20:37 »
I have grown to many so it's always a case of "lets try it and see" with me too.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 20:41 »
I have grown to many so it's always a case of "lets try it and see" with me too.

Absolutely Nige! It's only a few minute's work, and you may just surprise everyone, including Mrs Growster...

Does this mean I have to post a result in a few weeks time?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 20:42 »

Oh yes  :D

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 20:47 »

Oh yes  :D
Right; you're on...

;0)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 06:54 »
All my tomatoes will have to stay out by the end of next week I also have far too many, but I am hoping at least some will survive. They will all be in my little plot, pots half burried, in positions of least sun (walls to three sides) Also peppers and gourds.

The reason for this is a two week holiday to Greece. I just hope by then we will be getting some rain, but having just seen the Countryfile weather it's looking doubtful for a while. Also worried about my "mini orchard" in pots, but will move everything to more shady places. Unortunately know no-one who can water for us. :( Usually it's a good time to go, not likely to be frost, plenty of showers and some sun..................

Time will tell. Give up my holiday? NEVER! :D

kari

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 08:07 »
Good luck with them

This was my first year of growing toms from seed, I didnt know they would ALL germinate! :blink: So I too have planted some out, I must admit the first 6 went out about 4 wks ago, and another 20 or so yesterday.

I've also planted some of my biggest in grow bags in the conservatory and have flowers already.

Alot of them are in large pots and containers so if a frost threatens I can bring them into the conservatory, but even if the worst happens and I loose them all, I have another 62 plants waiting as back up! lol
New to gardening & growing my own, its a very steep learning curve!

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 08:18 »
my toms and sweetcorn are going out next week because im off to menorca i will sow some more before i go just in case but as the whole family is going they have to take there chance in the big wide world

sarah f

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 08:24 »
my tomatoes are still to show there heads above soil lol, i moved house in the easter holidays and help off planting :( nearly everything.
but the good  thing is i have 4 times as much garden space now lol

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 10:20 »
Well, they seem to have survived the recent windy spell and the inevitable sun beating down...

It's down to almost daily spot-watering now. We don't have any water on our plots, so we always carry it down independently. There is a stream 100 yds away, but the nettles are slightly taller that me!

Snoop

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 10:39 »
Now there's a trick I hadn't thought of.  Eejit that I am.

Last year, our last frost was mid-May. But this year, we haven't had any frost since late March. My toms are still in the cold frame, just in case, but I will grow too many next year and just plant some out and see what happens.

prakash_mib

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41 »
I have planted out the toms yesterday along with the chillies in my raised bed yesterday. I am not a risk taker but they are quite huge and becoming unmanageable. chillies are even showing up flower buds.
so success or failure I blame the nature. nothing to do with me.
I know what to expect  :lol:
P.S: the half n half potted toms are healthy and very good looking. will try to post pics in its original thread.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 11:47 »
Would I be right in thinking that your raised bed may also obviate potential frost danger Prakash?

xx
Tomatoes grown in open soil...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 05, 2014, 14:26
by Growster...
xx
Allotment Open Day

Started by susan63 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 15, 2009, 17:44
by Lee1978
xx
Open to the elements

Started by johnyboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 23, 2011, 21:40
by johnyboy
xx
Allotment Open Day

Started by compostqueen on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2008, 14:49
by Tigerhair

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 36 queries.