What Now?? new chicks are a hatchin

• 15 Replies

wildy78

What Now?? new chicks are a hatchin
« on: April 30, 2011, 18:30 »
ok, my first eggs are hatching under my broody, they have food and water and warm bedding.  Do i just leave them to get on with it?  Will mommy just show them everything or do i need to intervene in any way?

Havent seen her get off the eggs at all the past 2 days do i still need to move her or just leave her well alone, she has feed and water close by in the makeshift coop.  When can i next pick her up and when will she be ok with me picking up the chicks for checking and general aaahh ing.

Thanks

Neil
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

bantam novice

Re: What Now?? new chicks are a hatchin
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 19:37 »
Hello Neil,

you can just leave mother to it.  She will do what is necessary and show the hatched chicks where to feed.  Are they hatching at the right time?   

My last hatching was a little late and I didn't get my first chick hatching until day 22 and my second on day 25.  I did have to help 2nd chick because the egg membrane had got really dry.

When you see mother lead her chicks out of the coop you can do a coop clean and get rid of the eggshells etc.  Then give them new bedding.  At this point you can also watch and count how many chicks and how they are doing.

It is very exciting and I really had to stop myself from going down to the coop every half hour  ::)

Good Luck  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

wildy78

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 20:17 »
Great thanks for that, just need some reassurance.  All seems to be good and on time so far, although only seen 1 chick out of the 11.  Its day 21 today, so if i get to day 23 and mom hasnt moved, do i still leave her or shall i move to make sure all is ok.

I know what you mean, only got back about 5.30 tonight and have been up to check on them about 10 times!!!!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 22:19 »
I would just leave her if she is still sitting.  Wait until she goes out with the chicks.  As I said it was day 25 before my second chick hatched and I was just about to take all the eggs out.  Good Luck and we love to see pictures on this forum if you want to post them.  :)

wildy78

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 20:07 »
Excellent, thanks again.  Day 23 She came out today to stretch her legs and give them all some exercise and sunbathe.  Only thing she was out for about 4 hours just hope the other 4 eggs are still ok.  Found one pipped with a small hole big enough for the beak but the chick seemed dead, no movement whatsoever left it in though just in case.

Cant attach a photo it will only let me attach a photo128kb, mine is more like 3MB.  Will keep trying

thanks again

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 20:34 »
How many chicks hatched out? 
It may be worth leaving the other eggs for a day or two but don't leave it too long.  If she left them for four hours it sounds as if none of the others are going to be viable.  You need to clean out the eggshell, scrub the coop and put in fresh bedding.
Very exciting though  :)
Good Luck!

wildy78

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2011, 16:59 »
Thats it all done now,  we have had 6 chicks, 3 barnvelder and 3 welsummer, just not too sure which is which at the moment.  Remaining 5 were removed.  1 that was pipped was dead, the other 4 were no good.  1 was not fertile and exploded when i put it in the bin (phew what a smell).  The other 3 felt different seemed lighter and didnt make a slopping sound when shook.  Removed them at day 26, could it be that the shells were too hard for the chicks to break out due to incorrect humidity softening the shell?

They are growing like billyo, got some great photos of them using the mom as a climbing frame :D

Thanks for all the advice

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2011, 17:19 »
Congrats! Welsumer chicks are more of a gingery colour and have almost got stripes down their head and back and I know this sounds mad, but their eyes look as though they are outlined in eyeliner! Barnie chicks are very dark (almost black) with little lighter brown splashes here and there.

bantam novice

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2011, 17:26 »
Well done!   :)

I was wondering the same thing about my unhatched eggs.  My broody only managed to hatch two out of ten and the second one was with my help.  I was thinking that maybe next time I would try placing some turf under the bedding.  The other thing I thought I might try is mist spraying the eggs with water a few days before they were due to hatch.

Now how about posting some pics for us to go aaaah over  :D

wildy78

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 21:01 »
the little uns
SNB13179 (500 x 375).jpg
SNB13181 (375 x 500).jpg

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2011, 21:09 »
Aaaahhhhh! so gorgeous  :D  :D  :D
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

bantam novice

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2011, 22:02 »
How lovely  :)

Helenaj

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2011, 08:48 »
How cute! Excellent photo - especially with the terrier in the background. I wish my Jacks were so calm with my hens, but they are working dogs and see anything as fair game.

retribution

« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 16:54 »
maybe a stupid question but have you seperated mum from the others for hatching ? also have you or are you using a lamp or just leaving mum to get on with it ? i have my eggs on order and should be with us on tuesday so hoping we will have some chicks. is it worth spraying with misted water before putting under mum ?

wildy78

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2011, 20:51 »
HI Retribution, sorry for the delay getting back to you, Yes i did seperate mum from others, i had a bit of trouble with a rat or magpie attacking her whilst the doors were open for free ranging.  Cut her comb and chewed her feathers and destroyed 1 egg.  I have left mum to it completely she has done a fantastic job although 5 eggs didnt hatch, i think due to poor humidity at days 19-21.  I read that you should give your eggs 24 hours rest when delivered before putting under mum.  I also read (on day 24) that spraying the eggs with misted water late on helps with the humidity and softens the shell for pipping.

Hope your hatching goes well, its so nice to see it all happen naturally.

xx
they hatchin!!

Started by juliemax1 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 10:05
by ANHBUC
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148
xx
When can I mix my chicks with my older chicks?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 29, 2012, 18:52
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 36 queries.