Too late for another planting

• 33 Replies

Paul Plots

Re: Too late for another planting
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2011, 23:56 »
Have you got fresh seed? I always buy a new packet and works for me  :wub:

Yep... new this year. Lashed out  ;)  :happy:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 08:49 »
I've never had parsnips germinate in less than 3 weeks outdoors, and with such a long germination time and in this dry weather it's important to keep them moist (not drowned!) as the seeds are very light and are sown very shallowly so can quickly dry out.

However, using fresh seed, they always appear eventually (and I get to start growing my fingernails back!)  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Paul Plots

« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2011, 11:23 »
After all the fussing and thinking and interest and sowing and waiting and concern.... I must try to remember why it is I want to grow them apart from the challenge of doing so ::)

They are lovely roasted (if not over-cooked) and they make the most wonderful thinly sliced, deep-fried (if you do that sort of thing) chips / crisps. Plonked in a casserole works well too.  :happy:

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2011, 12:09 »
They are really good grated up with sweet potato and rosti-ed! sprinkle of sage and some red onion mixed through - yum yum! Now i've just got to grow the bloomin' things!  ::)
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

hamstergbert

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2011, 12:27 »
rather splendid as 33% of a creamy mash for cottage pie too.

mixed with carrots, sliced or baton, to brighten up the appearance and add a pleasant and subtle taste.

'snip wine!

parsnip cake (use the carrot cake recipe but drop the zest/juice of an orange and add zest/juice from two small lemons instead)
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2011, 14:39 »
My first year at Parsnips this year. I have three ten foot rows and made a shallow drill, placed some of Wyevale 50p sell off T&M 'White Gem' snip seeds at 4/5" intervals along them, three per station, and backfilled with MP compost. Apart from two 18" sections I have virtually full germination! Well chuffed!!  I watered the seed in well and then fleeced and they germinated in around 3 weeks. 

Paul Plots

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 15:07 »
My first year at Parsnips this year. I have three ten foot rows and made a shallow drill, placed some of Wyevale 50p sell off T&M 'White Gem' snip seeds at 4/5" intervals along them, three per station, and backfilled with MP compost. Apart from two 18" sections I have virtually full germination! Well chuffed!!  I watered the seed in well and then fleeced and they germinated in around 3 weeks. 

Easie-peasie sometimes, eh?  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2011, 16:45 »
beginners luck eh?
 :)

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2011, 17:22 »
I start my parsnips off last week,

I always start my parsnip seeds on wet kitchen towel on a small plate covered with cling film and then another plate over the top to keep out the light. As soon as they start to  geminate I put them in compost in paper pots, as soon as the seedlings are upright and have the first 2 leaves they get planted in there final positions.

This method is (i think?) foolproof, it takes the guessing out of what seed will germinate, and saves on wasted space where the sowing has failed.

Works everytime for me,

Good Luck,

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2011, 18:51 »
Fantastic suggestions from everyone, I have a couple of different ways to try next year and will hopefully get some sort of decent harvest!

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 20:45 »

I must confess a certain level of smugness.... :tongue2:

Paul Plots

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 21:54 »

I must confess a certain level of smugness.... :tongue2:

And why ever not  ;) Good for you!  :)

rhysdad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2011, 06:02 »
Seriously though Learner, a complete fluke if you ask me. I'm having real trouble getting beetroot going at the moment and they're meant to be a cinch  :blink:  :(

wozza

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2011, 08:11 »
Was full of smugness when I read this thread as my Parsnips carrots and beetroot had got to about 2 inches high on Friday and was chuffed to hell.

Then I came back from fishing in early evening Sunday to find my blooming chickens enjoying a dust bath in veg plot after the wind had blew their gate open

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:13 by wozza »
Stop food waste, pick your own fresh every day

Paul Plots

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 10:00 »
Was full of smugness when I read this thread as my Parsnips carrots and beetroot had got to about 2 inches high on Friday and was chuffed to hell.

Then I came back from fishing in early evening Sunday to find my blooming chickens enjoying a dust bath in veg plot after the wind had blew their gate open

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

I have the same trouble but with foxes not chickens.  :(

question
planting out late?

Started by Brassica Blaz on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 04, 2010, 16:59
by DD.
xx
Too late for Garlic planting?

Started by Sharonx on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post January 17, 2011, 14:52
by bigben
xx
too late for planting tatties?

Started by mrpotatohead on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2012, 22:15
by mumofstig
xx
planting out cucumber late...

Started by LiamB on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 01, 2016, 16:24
by BabbyAnn

Page created in 0.835 seconds with 39 queries.