Chickens Behaviour

• 3 Replies

beth123

• Experienced Member
Chickens Behaviour
« on: April 29, 2011, 16:31 »
Hi all

I've been down and let my girls out this morning as normal and since then my Speckledy has been sat in the nest box.  She is usually a very timid bird but when I tried to take the eggs from under her she went mad.  Started making a right racket and pecking me which is really out of character.  When I lifted her out of the nest box she had a quick walk round but then soon returned.  Is it possible that shes gone broody?  If so what should I do with her?  I'm a bit worried that shes not eaten or drank anything since this morning.

Kind Regards
Beth 

Helenaj

Re: Chickens Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 18:02 »
She's broody! It's the time of year for it. The reason she's "growling" at you is she wants to protect her eggs.
It now depends on what you want to do - give her some fertile eggs to hatch for you or try and break her of it if you don't want chicks. If you don't want any, remove the eggs regularly and hoist her out of the nest - she'll fight you all the way! She will eventually break of the broodiness. Until she breaks or hatches her chicks (depending on your choice), she will mostly sit tight, only leaving the nest box to eat and drink a little bit and do the smelliest poos you've ever come across! She will lose condition, but that is normal for a broody and she will recover.

hillfooter

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 01:12 »
As Helenaj has pretty much said it all I will say is that there is nothing to be concerned about this is a very normal condition.  She won't starve or dehydrate seriously if there is ready access to ad lib supplies.  In hot weather it might be a good idea to lift her off so she has to pass the feed station to return to the nestbox so she can take a few sips of water.

If you want to break her broodiness you can keep her in a puppy cage with a wooden slatted floor raised off the ground,  sheltered from the sun and any severe elements so that she is cooled (particularly her brest) and can't sit comfortably.  make food and drink available.  A couple of days will usually break the broodiness.  Otherwise lift her regularly from the nestbox.
HF
Truth through science.

beth123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:15 »
Thank you both very much.  I will have to break her broodiness because at the minute we don't have the room for more chickens.  :(

xx
Behaviour

Started by SurreyLass on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 18:26
by SurreyLass
xx
Odd behaviour?

Started by Carolf on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 01, 2011, 13:47
by Carolf
xx
behaviour ???

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 16:04
by SoniaBA
xx
Behaviour

Started by Springlands on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2012, 20:55
by Springlands

Page created in 1.621 seconds with 30 queries.