Avocado Seeds

• 12 Replies

Hopalong

Avocado Seeds
« on: August 28, 2007, 23:20 »
Is it feasable to grow avocados in Britain in a unheated greenhouse?  :?  Has anyone done it,? How does one proceed? Is it necessary to subject the seed to cold weather before it will germinate, like you do (or the growers do) for potato seed? Such alot of question I know but I really would be interested to hear some positive answers as we have a number of avocado stones (from various dishes we have made) and it would be a pity to throw them away if they can be utilised.  :D
Hopalong

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Avocado Seeds
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2007, 23:26 »
Hey hopalong. I also have looked into this as i love avacado and would love to grow these expensive fruits myself. My findings are thus. You can grow in the UK in warm climates, however it takes upto 10 years from seed to fruit!!!! Have a google search about how to start them off, thats where i found the info. I may obviously be wrong, but this is what i found trawling!

Sorry not to be more positive!

WG.

Avocado Seeds
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2007, 23:56 »
Do you have a very large greenhouse?  They are a large tree : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

fletch

• Experienced Member
Avocado Seeds
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2007, 13:05 »
I started an avocado stone into growth 4 years ago (dead easy, no germination problems).

It was kept as a house plant until 2 years ago and then put into an unheated conservatory.........
As WG says, they are really trees, this summer mine finally hit the ceiling, thats stone to a 9ft X 6ft spread tree in 4 years  :shock:

I had to chop it down to a 2ft stump a month or so ago and it is sprouting like crazy again so maybe it will be more shrubby and produce fruit at a smaller height?? I'll have to see.

Not really a viable fruiting option in this country I don't think, unless you have loads of room, but a pleasant enough plant until it outgrows your house!

Fletch
First timer, NOT enjoying the backache anymore!

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Avocado Seeds
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2007, 13:12 »
fletch, did you ever get any fruit?

Hopalong

Avocado
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2007, 20:54 »
Thank you everyone for your replies to my question. I have Googled it and it seems that the tree doesn't bear fruit for ten years, and it is a substantial tree too :roll: At my rather advanced age, and with only half a plot I have decided to forgo the pleasure of growing my own :oops:

WG.

Avocado Seeds
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2007, 20:58 »
Half a plot?  Where are you based please?  You gave the impression you were going to plant it in a greenhouse.

fletch

• Experienced Member
Avocado Seeds
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 21:14 »
Hi digital biscuit, no, it never got to fruiting stage, it literally got massive in 4 years, taking up 1/4 of the conservatory. Like growing a Sycamore in your house!
I'm wondering wether my "stump" may do something as it has effectively been pollarded and has about 20 fresh shoots which I may (or may not) be able to select the best of and grow it like a cordon?
I really don't know.
One thing, it's heartbreaking to have such a majestic plant and then have to chop it down.  :(

Fletch

roo loose

avo's
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 22:28 »
hi all... living where avo's grow outside I thought you should be aware of a few problems with getting fruit. You will have no probems getting the tree to grow , even to a giant  I have seen no bearing trees in cold area over 5 m high.The problem is in the flowering , for the plant to pollinate you need an overnight temp of over 12 degrees c for two nights in a row. Mine are getting ready to flower now , they are Hass , and  have borne fruit from year 3 after planting.With a Haas you can leave the fruit on the tree and it will not ripen until it is picked , about 10 to 14 days from picking.  I use grafted trees, as they bear fruit quickly.If you had a big enough hot house and temp control you may get away from it. Two better options , global warming or move.

WG.

Re: avo's
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 22:35 »
Thanks for the info RL & welcome to the forum.
Quote from: "roo loose"
Two better options , global warming or move.
 :lol:  :lol:  I'd consider moving; is a criminal record still required to get in?  :wink:

roo loose

Avocado Seeds
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 09:04 »
a criminal record is not compusary to grown avo's but essential if you want to be a politician / policeman / business man . Really not much different that you palid mob. Avo;s do make a great decorative tree and can be pruned hard without harming them, so even without fruit they are a great tree . I have one in a tight fit, between a building and a fence ,that I have trained , if you can train a 3 metre tree. It has about 300 avo's a season , a mature tree will give a lot more . I have several types as they bear at different times , arhh avo's all year round what a *. The only down side is they are 5 for 40 pence in the fruit shop at this time of the year. Avo's can handle frost, love water but don't like wet feet ( we had a metre of rain in 7 days mid August) and do not like wind. The rain with 28 degree winter sunshine has kicked everything of early this year. Frost  in July killed most of the sugar cane but made for little lawn mowing

WG.

Avocado Seeds
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2007, 13:16 »
28 degree winter sunshine
 :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

digital_biscuit

• Experienced Member
Avocado Seeds
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2007, 14:10 »
Avo;s do make a great decorative tree

I love the aussie way of shortening everything! Bless em! :D

xx
Avocado

Started by seadart on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 22, 2007, 18:55
by gobs
xx
Avocado

Started by bexy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 07, 2009, 16:47
by bexy
xx
Avocado tree

Started by BussinSpain on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post September 08, 2012, 07:06
by BussinSpain
xx
I grew an avocado tree, well almost...

Started by nuzuki on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 15:14
by arugula

Page created in 0.483 seconds with 37 queries.