Itching To Plant Out

• 5 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Itching To Plant Out
« on: April 27, 2011, 16:36 »
Firstly, a huge thanks for the patience and understanding of the good people here who have been so helpful in offering advice and information to an apprentice such as myself, you must have seen such questions many times and I appreciate your kindness in shedding the light.

So, my innocent questions today relate to:

1. Determining weed growth from my carrot and parsnip, which I sowed directly into my plot. I am presuming it would be better to allow more growth to more easily identify the veg from the weeds. My nice drills have been invaded a touch and disturbed so that it's hard to know which from which, can I thin out the carrots/pardsnips and replant when more developed?

2. Have some sprouting Borlotti in pots at present, can they go into my plot yet, are they fairly hardy, or would fleece be a help?

3. When's a good time to plant tomatoes? Is it too early down here in sunny Sussex? Or would they be better under fleece?

All advice most welcome

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
Re: Itching To Plant Out
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 16:57 »
On weeds in rows, this is where clear marking is such a good tip!  However you did say that rows had been disturbed a bit, so I'll let you off :).  Do a quick google to see what your seedlings should look like, and as a general rule pull up anything that doesn't match!  They've started putting pictures of seedlings on the back of some seed packets, so that might be a handy resource.

Also, common garden weeds, perennials at least, are quite easy to spot anyway, so you should be ok avoiding confusion.  With annual weeds you can let them grow on if you're not sure, they'll not be there for long after you've recognised them after all.

Beans...I've not planted out any beans at the moment, because I'm ever so fearful of a late frost and we're in the welsh hills so I have no idea when that might be.  I'd leave planting them out for another couple of weeks, just to be sure.  Remember, if you plant things out early and they get nabbed by frist you'll lose your entire crop, if you plant them out late, they'll catch up and you'll get a lovely crop, with a slight delay!

Tomatoes outside should be sown now and kept inside until they're about 4 inches tall.  Then harden them off and move them outside.

prakash_mib

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 05:03 »
you will get an eye for spotting weeds very soon. dont worry until you get first set of true leaves.
replanting is not advised for the thinnings (others may differ on this). try using the thinnings on salads. or if you have sowed in a row thin them as late as possible. they do space themselves out.  :)

toms and beans can wait until mid may and even then if there is frost risk fleece might be handy.
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 09:16 »
Beans and toms can't really go out until overnight temps are reliably above 10C, and it went below that here last night, even in the greenhouse  :ohmy:
Keep checking the local weather forecasts (find a near-by weather station if you can to check on-line) to see what your overnight temps are like.
Even then sometimes a very late frost is forecast and then fleece or sheets of poly or bubble wrap do come in handy

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 10:13 »
Once you have learned what the carrots and parsnips look like you can make hand weeding a lot easier by carefully hoeing as close to either side of the row as you can.

A tip for marking the rows is to sow a few radishes at the same time as the carrots/parsnips. By a few I mean a seed every 3 inches - no more - the radishes come up quickly so that you know where to look for the carrots. You will also have a bonus crop of radishes.

Thin carrots as soon as you can see the plants, which is usually when the first proper leaf is showing. Pull out any weeds in the row and  thin the carrots so that there is a row of single plants about 1 inch apart. The ones that are pulled out cannot be transplanted and are not big enough to eat. Some of the carrots will get big enough to eat before others. Start pulling them to eat when they are big enough. Continue pulling to eat until either they are all gone or it is time to lift and store for the Winter.

For parsnips you should also thin to a row of single plants about 1 inch apart. The process then differs from carrots because parsnips are not useable until they are mature. When the seedlings are well established, 2/3 leaves, be ruthless and thin out to leave a row of single plants about 6 inches apart. Some prefer to do this in 2 stages, first thinning to 3 inches and later thinning to 6 inches. The final spacing is not critical. Personally I thin them to 4/5 inches. I find that 6 or 8 inche spacing reccomended by many produces roots that are too big for the kitchen on my soil.

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 17:05 »
Cheers to everyone for all the advice, really helpful, I shall take that into acount.

Am looking dwarf borlotti beans which have sprouted in 3 inch pots, they are already 3 inches high and rising and I'm thinking 'they cannot go out till mid May.Time for a re-pot me thinks :)

xx
Supermarket living lettuce-plant or not 2 plant?

Started by violet61 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 20:29
by violet61
xx
Butternut - to plant out or not to plant out?

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 17:09
by little sweetpeas
xx
what can i plant out now?

Started by steptoe on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2011, 23:36
by viettaclark
xx
To plant out or not?

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 11, 2024, 15:53
by cc

Page created in 0.467 seconds with 38 queries.