drought

• 60 Replies

Nikkithefoot

Re: drought
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2011, 09:46 »
Is this going to be another '76?? No rain to speak of from April until September? Brown grass, dying crops, fresh veg prices through the roof...........I was still at junior school then and remember lessons outside on the grass.

I have only watered my seeds and newly planted out crops for a couple of days then they are on their own!! The patch where I dug in loads of fresh manure in the autumn is still very moist underneath, its the bits of the plot that haven't that are bone dry.

We have just had 3 minutes of heavy rain.....................but its dried up already  :(
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

aqua

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2011, 12:13 »
.I was still at junior school then and remember lessons outside on the grass.
couldn't do that now the risks assessment wd be three pages long plus no school fields

Sid

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2011, 13:24 »
We are desperate for rain,have cabbages and brussels that need to get in the ground but it's too dry  :(  have been using whats left in water tank for onions garlic and spuds.
Apparently we have heavy rain coming in for sat,sun and mon, we will see.
if you want to be happy for a short time, get drunk; happy for a long time, fall in love; happy for ever, take up gardening

waxwing

« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2011, 16:33 »
The only rain I can remember this month was heavy but very patchy, it rained on my street but not the allotment half a mile away.
Bit worried after seeing a bloke on my allptment last night, he was watering every thing, weeds an all with a hose pipe and they are banned.
And the BBC keep saying rain but it never comes >:(

Steve

Whereabouts in Rugby are you Steve? and which allotments?

I'm at Eastlands on the school/park side, forgot the number but all I know its the dry looking one :tongue2:

Steve

Christo

• Spring has Sprung!
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2011, 20:06 »
Same down here in sussex. Bit of a shocker to be honest. I'vd been taking jerry cans of water to the site on each visit! Where's the rain when you really need it!

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2011, 22:18 »
we have rain *dances around the room* has been at it a few hours now  :D

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #36 on: April 29, 2011, 23:08 »
It's been raining here for the last hour or so, proper rain too. I'm so glad I went up the plot today and planted things out, and spent the best part of Weds weeding

viettaclark

« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2011, 23:47 »
Literally 1 minute of heavy shower tonight! No rain all April and little in March. I'm exhausted watering the pots, the lettuce have whitefly because they're too dry and all my tulips have died in the heat.
Give me rain!! Please......

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2011, 12:32 »
Whereabouts in Rugby are you Steve? and which allotments?

I'm at Eastlands on the school/park side, forgot the number but all I know its the dry looking one :tongue2:

Steve

Not far from me then, I'm at the Dunsmore Gardens site, next to Ashlawn School.

STILL no rain, though there was a chance of showers forecast for yesterday, not  a drop for us  >:(

Yesterday our water was cut off during the afternoon - that got me worried, thought maybe the reservoir had run dry  :ohmy: but luckily it was back  on in  the evening.

I've got some plants waiting to be planted out and if I wait for it to rain first they are going to get pot bound and sickly looking

oh PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE  can we have some rain now?  :unsure:

(edit to clarify quotes)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:51 by mumofstig »
Rachael

totalnovice

• kates allotment adventure
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2011, 13:36 »
about 8 weeks since any rain fell here, we had a heavey mist about 5 weeks ago, but that is it. My soil has dried up and cracked, thie biggest i've noticed is about 2inches wide! Seedlings are being watered but not coming to much. Think this year will be a difficult one unless we get some rain here very soon.  :(
Kate
Always thankful for advice!

Beklet

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2011, 21:41 »
It rained yesterday...for 10 minutes....

Plot is baked hard - partly a blessing as it means the weeds are growing slowly but it's got to the point that when we go to the plot, in the two or three hours we're there, we end up watering the onions 4 times......it is remarkably dusty and our soil is heavy clay....

Epona_4

• Experienced Member
« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2011, 08:19 »
no rain here either.....and this wind is drying things out much much quicker too, we had rumblings of thunder for a while last week but it stayed dry as a bone, just a good night of slow steady rain would be marvellous right now  :ohmy:

gazza975526570

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2011, 08:22 »
dry as a bone here too - just checked next 7 days - 0mm of rain forecast!!

waxwing

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2011, 16:02 »

Not far from me then, I'm at the Dunsmore Gardens site, next to Ashlawn School.

Ahh now I know were Dunsmore gardens are, I thought I was called Ashlawn. I've seen a plant sale advertised for there but didn't have a clue were it was  :)

Any one else noticed a lack of weeds but lots of flea beatles this year, I put it down to the lack of rain.

Steve

madcat

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2011, 16:40 »
We had an almighty thunderstorm on Thurs night - but virtually not rain - and woke to rain on Friday morning and sympathised about BBQs and parties ....  but it was actually next to nothing.  All dry again by 10am ...  and this cold drying wind is making it worse.  I really need to get parsnips in .... but there is no rain forecast for here before the middle of may!!   :blink:  There is very little left in the tank and the beans are gonna need every drop of it .... :(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

xx
The drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 11:33
by Babstreefern
xx
drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 16:54
by Oliver
xx
Anyone else having a drought ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 10:40
by amberleaf
xx
watering in drought

Started by Bing on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post May 21, 2011, 21:14
by stentman

Page created in 0.789 seconds with 36 queries.