drought

• 60 Replies

prakash_mib

Re: drought
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 05:07 »
The other day I was planting the last of my seed spuds on the plot and the soil was bone dry and dusty the entire spade depth of the trench  :ohmy:  Yet the day before we'd had a thunderstorm and at least 10 minutes of heavy rain ... where did the water go?  ???
the answer is in your question  :). rain after ver dry period on compact soil flows rather than sinking. that why we get flash floods from thunder storms after dry spell. they need soaking rather than splashings.  :)
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2011, 05:17 »
my lottie is 'dust' but my home veg garden is doing ok as i can water it every day (in april?...madness! ::)).

At home, my waterbut is almost empty of rainwater but i have been keeping the last dregs to top up my water feature that (for some reason) has become home to a couple of hundred tadpoles :lol:

It had better rain soon as i am running out of options for topping up their water supply and im not sure the Britta Filter water will really suit their environment  :nowink: :nowink:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2011, 08:23 »
sorry to be a spoil sport but I don't want any rain (unless it is over night) I and my chickens like the dry conditions  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

waxwing

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2011, 08:42 »
The only rain I can remember this month was heavy but very patchy, it rained on my street but not the allotment half a mile away.
Bit worried after seeing a bloke on my allptment last night, he was watering every thing, weeds an all with a hose pipe and they are banned.
And the BBC keep saying rain but it never comes >:(

Steve

bigben

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2011, 08:59 »
Very dry here in Sheffield - the council has just put our water on. I had started to bring 25litre jerry cans from home in the car which was not fun.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2011, 09:07 »
I've just checked the local weather station and it shows we've had
only 131.8mm of rainfall so far this year   :ohmy:  :(

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2011, 09:12 »
The only rain I can remember this month was heavy but very patchy, it rained on my street but not the allotment half a mile away.
Bit worried after seeing a bloke on my allptment last night, he was watering every thing, weeds an all with a hose pipe and they are banned.

Steve
I find it difficult to understand why some people water every thing, a little every day.When asked they reply ''look it's wilting''.That's because they've encouraged shallow roots. When I water I give plenty but not very often. Sorry rant over. It's one of my pet hates :tongue2:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2011, 16:17 »

Steve

Whereabouts in Rugby are you Steve? and which allotments?
Rachael

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2011, 18:55 »
Weather for Bristol tomorrow seems to be heavy showers late in the day. This will be great if there is enough rain to sink in properly as we can spend the day on the lotty but not have to water!

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2011, 19:39 »
well our showers here so far has been 3 drops thats it :( 3 drops then it stoped lol

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2011, 19:58 »
There are supposed to be light rain showers here now....................but there's no sign of any  rain :(

witchwoopiggy

« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2011, 20:33 »
well our weather is listed as a ''passing shower'' does dry as a bone count  ::) and at the mo still saying ''showers high 18'' for tomorrow , will belive it when i see it

Togalosh

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 21:20 »
A month or so ago at the local dog track I commented on them watering the track. I was then shown the rainfall logs for the year so far & all it showed was drizzle or light showers once a fortnight or so since the new year..it's hardly rained at all since then.

My plot is bone dry & dusty..a real shocker for April.

I never thought I'd ever be wishing for rain !

Windsong

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 22:09 »
We haven't had rain in a while either. It's been sort of a blessing for us this year, though. We took on an overgrown allotment with clay soil. The dry weather has meant that we have great conditions for being out on the plot and the soil isn't as heavy and sticky as it would otherwise be.

nwalch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2011, 22:45 »
Wondering whether to delay sowing parsnips and planting out my spuds until we get a bit if rain. No water supply on the plot and not much water left in the barrels to water them in?
Are you looking for an allotment (full or to share) in South East Sheffield. PM me for details.

xx
Anyone else having a drought ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post June 11, 2008, 10:40
by amberleaf
xx
The drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 11:33
by Babstreefern
xx
drought

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post August 02, 2006, 16:54
by Oliver
xx
Drought woes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 10, 2022, 10:37
by Anton

Page created in 0.497 seconds with 38 queries.