Value For Money??

• 3 Replies

Robster

Value For Money??
« on: April 27, 2011, 12:15 »
Yesterday I bought a little 6 module tray of musselburgh leek for £2.99.  When I teased them out and potted them on there were 44 decent sized leeklets.  I bought them as they were a lot more advanced than my own sown batch.  Although a pack of seeds is about the same price all things considered I thought this reasonable value (less than 7p per plant).

Incidentally there was another variety with only 6 baby leeks one in each module for £2.99 (what a rip off)

Mostly I reckon Garden Centres are a rip off for baby veg plants.  Has anyone else had good value at Garden Centres?  What with?

nipper31

• Experienced Member
Re: Value For Money??
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 12:30 »
I got a six-module tray of strawberries a couple of years ago that looked half dead at been and queued. I bought them because they were knocked down to two quid!

The original six plants survived with a little TLC and I now have two strawberry beds full of all the the runners - in total probably more than 30 plants!

:)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:36 »
Best bargain lately is a small pot of sweet peas ("Old Spice" but there were other choices) for 99p.

Pot looked a bit congested but I managed to separate them in a bowl of water and there were over 30!  :)

Have also noticed that Homebase have a large selection of veg seedlings in trays or modules. They're not expensive at £1.99 (I think that's right) but some of them are pretty expensive even at that price (or even rather impractical - carrots?  ::) )
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Pompey Spud

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 16:08 »
I managed to get a very poor looking Fig tree for £2.50 in March

They thought it was dead or, dying but I had a close look and found some greeness in the few buds. It's now the picture of health and doing great. Saved myself quite a few quid.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

xx
does anybody really save money?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

64 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 16:17
by chimaera
xx
Money makers

Started by Bailz on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 19:43
by Kristen
xx
Making Money for your Society.

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 17:32
by SnooziSuzi
xx
Waste of time and money...

Started by nipper31 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 17:41
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.517 seconds with 37 queries.