Squash Bed

• 5 Replies

rizzla_lite

Squash Bed
« on: April 26, 2011, 19:52 »
I have made a big mistake in the measurements of my new poly which I erected over the weekend. To cut a long story short, I have to revamp my plans for what goes where on the plot this season which will mean that the squash and courgettes need to go into the same bed as last year. (eek!)

I know this is far from ideal due to potential diseases remaining in the soil from the last crop and it interupts my 4 year crop rotation plan but will I get away with it! The area was manured with well rotted horse pooh in January and I threw some chicken pellets on the surface a few days ago.

Should I give it a go as the squash are already sowed in my heated greenhouse or should I think of growing something else there? If I do go for it, is there anything else I can do to help to minimise potential problems?

As always, I am grateful for any advice.

Fisherman

Re: Squash Bed
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 20:05 »
I assume your plants of last year weren't diseased! IMO a small hiccup in your crop rotation plans shouldn't make any difference unless you were extremely unlucky. Might be worth adding some more manure / compost as squash and courgettes like plenty of moisture and food.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 20:50 »
You'll be fine, they suffer from very little in the way of pests and diseases, so no worries.

emptydraw

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 12:54 »
Crop rotation is only suggested for onions, legumes, spuds, roots and brassicas due to the potential of soil born diseases building up over time. Some people swear by it, others ignore it. Either way, one year in the same spot wouldnt hurt any of these unless you had serious problems last year.
Also note that neither Courgettes or Squashes belong to these families, and so dont get any benefit from being grown in a new bed each year anyway. Ditto for sweetcorn and a few other oddities that I cant remember.
So you can relax and carry on theyll be just fine.

madcat

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 18:31 »
Just keep going - you will be fine.  The biggest issue you will have keeping them in the same place is feeding 'em, they exhaust the soil quickly but the horses and chickens will do to keep things going!
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

rizzla_lite

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 19:08 »
Thanks to you all.

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Squash id

Started by Beetroot Queen on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post September 17, 2013, 12:43
by jerrynl
xx
Squash

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 04, 2009, 12:44
by Paul Plots
xx
Squash

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2022, 11:40
by Snow

Page created in 0.795 seconds with 38 queries.