How old is too old?

• 2 Replies

coco

• Experienced Member
How old is too old?
« on: April 26, 2011, 13:41 »
Just wondering how old the average hen is when she comes to the end of her laying?

I have a lady who now only lays eggs a couple of times a week, without any shells ... is this just purely down to her age?  I've had her for two years and in that time she has laid an egg almost every day so she has been a good layer, bless her ...

xx

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: How old is too old?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 14:01 »
If we are talking hybrids, then any eggs after 2 years old are a bonus, but some, like the black rocks can still lay up to 5 years old.

Pure breeds will usually lay for longer but they generally have a rest during the winter.

Saying that though, a young man came here the other day to buy some chicks, and he was saying that his friend has a French bantam, but he doesn't know that breed, that still lays occasionally and she is 17!!!  years, not months!!   :lol:

coco

• Experienced Member
Re: How old is too old?
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 12:39 »
 :ohmy: 17 years .... wow

I was just worried incase the shell-less eggs she is laying are causing her any concern or ill effects .... she doesn't bother going to the nest box or anything, they are just in the pile of poop she leaves in the morning ... I wouldn't want to keep her like that if she is any kind of distress, but otherwise she is welcome to stay and dig up even more of the garden  :)

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.