Asparagus and weeds

• 5 Replies

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
Asparagus and weeds
« on: April 26, 2011, 13:21 »
Got a new allotment this year. The layout is beds with grass paths. Some beds are overgrown so I have spent most of time up to now weeding. The beds that are indistinguishable from the grass paths I covered in black weed surpressing membrane a few weeks ago. Will this eventually kill the weeds as when I looked yesterday the weeds appear to be thriving. If they are to be used as a permeable membrane with chippings on top - should I use black plastic instead? I will eventually get around to digging them - but I am trying to make life easier for myself.
Some asparagus has appeared on on eof the grassy beds - can I dig this up and transplant it to a newly dug bed - or is it best to leave it? Is there any way of telling how established the plants are? - there are about 10 spears showing over a 10ft by 4 ft bed.
Last question - the grass paths are 50% weeds - is there an easy / safe way to kill the weeds and leave the grass - not sure abour using weed/feed stuff next to the beds?
Thanks in advance for any helpful hints - they will be much appreciated.

bigben

Re: Asparagus and weeds
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 14:20 »
There is no real shortcut to getting rid of the weeds. You will need to dig them out even if you spray them with weedkiller. Spraying with glyphosphate to get yourself started might well help. This takes a couple of weeks to really get down and kill the roots.
If you want to avoid weedkiller then covering will suppress the weeds in the short term and eventually kill them but could take a couple of seasons. You could hack down to ground level, cover and then plant through the weed fabric so you get something back from the ground. Squash, pumpkins, sweetcorn etc can all be grown this way. Black plastic does not let the water thru so will kill the weeds but can mess up soil chemistry and kill the good micro organisms.
I could not advise on anything that kills weed but not grass - it might exist but I have not seen it.
I dont grow asparagus but have heard it takes a couple of years to get an established bed going during which you are not meant to eat the spears. If yours is already established it might be worth the effort of weeding it rather than replanting but as you seem to suggest if it not really established and productive it might be easier to just dig up and replant. I am sure someone who grows it will give more advice.

boldondig

• Experienced Member
  • Weeding
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 14:23 »
Thanks Bigben - appreciate the advice

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 14:33 »
The crowns from which the spears appear may be from a couple of inches across (when first bought) to 2' or more when fully established.

This can make it tricky to assess how many plants you have or how big because they finish up with the appearance of having "joined up" (depending on how close they were planted, of course!)

If they appear to be in a single row then you might be able to judge the width of the crowns from the spacing of the spears (mine took about 6 years to get to about 2' across and I wouldn't want to dig them up now, although it can be done apparently.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 20:13 »
10 spears sounds like you have a established bed.
I have two beds one at home one at plot, weeds will always be an annoyance to some extent as the spears don't crowd out weeds. I would try to save the bed by serious weeding followed by a mulch. If you want to transplant I would do it when the plants are dormant in the winter not whilst growing at present.
Glycophosphate could be useful if you can paint carefully onto the weeds with invasive roots.
Good luck whatever your choice

HH
Keep digging

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 21:37 »
re asparagus . read muntys posts on asparagus .as for your problem this year i would leave them in place and eat what shows .stop picking june 21st then wait till winter then let the foliage die back on the plants dig them up move to a new ready prepared( see tips) and then nuke all the remaining weeds in spring
still alive /............

xx
Weeds, Weeds and more weeds (oh and couch grass)

Started by meriad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 23, 2019, 17:10
by jaydig
xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Weeds - Never ending weeds

Started by andyww2013 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2019, 20:35
by mumofstig
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.819 seconds with 29 queries.