Autumn Raspberries

• 1 Replies

st0ne5ish

Autumn Raspberries
« on: April 25, 2011, 20:23 »
Hi,

I bought 20 Autumn Polka raspberries canes from the local garden centre in Autumn. Of the 20 planted only 4 have shown any sign of growth. I dug one of the ones not growing up today and there is nothing happening, no new roots or shoots. The stem looks pretty dead, there are no buds.

The 4 that are growing are doing well and I also bought 10 summer raspberries from Lidls, planted at the same time and the same way and all 10 of them are doing well.

Do I need to write the 16 not growing off now? I guess they should have started by now.

The annoying thing is I bought them using vouchers given to me so have no receipt or bank statement to prove I bought them....

If they are write off's is it too late to put new canes or plants in?

Thanks,
Steve

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
Re: Autumn Raspberries
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 22:00 »
Same thing happened to me last year.  Planted yet more last autumn, and still only had about a 50% success rate, despite being very careful about ground prep, planting etc.  Im beginning to think rasps arent as indestructable as people make out, or at least as winter hardy when in a newly-planted state.

I was so desperate to fill the gaps this year that, about a month ago and despite my better judgement, i bought a load of canes from M&S food store that had them on offer.  They were already trying to shoot out leaves, poor things!  Didnt hold out much hope, but they're romping away.  You may still get away with putting in some sold in pots (rather than bare root).

xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
autumn raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 30, 2012, 13:29
by mdjlucan
xx
Autumn raspberries

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 10:47
by Beetroot queen
xx
Autumn Raspberries

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 17:56
by Snap Dragon

Page created in 0.359 seconds with 37 queries.