what have you got in the ground

• 16 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
what have you got in the ground
« on: April 25, 2011, 07:00 »
im a bit confused as to when i should plant out my courgettes squashes toms etc.
so people on my lottie have already got beans in, while others are saying its too early for anything raised in the greenhouse! i know its a bit of a lottery where frost is concerned this time of year, but when would you take a chance?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 16:28 by needssomehelp »
LISA X X X

fatcat1955

Re: what have you got in the ground, (Essex)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 07:46 »
Far too early for the plants you mention. Just heard the weather forecast and the north could well have a frost tonight. The weather front is moving south so could be with you by Weds night.

Benandbill

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 07:47 »
I'm no expert but I'll tell you what I know for what it's worth and what those down my plot are saying who've been growing for years.

Broad beans, yes, you can put them in now.  I planted ours abot a month ago and they're growing.  Runner beans they're telling me to wait until next month so I'll probably plant these in about the 2nd week of May.  You Can sow Courgette (Zucchini F‘) in May according to my seed packet.  I started tomato seeds in the house weeks and weeks ago, and some plants are now surviving in my small outdoor greenhouse / cloche in our back garden so if you haven't started your toms yet, start  them now in seed trays in the house....  

Good luck needsomehelp, give stuff a try anyway, what have you got to lose except the price of a packet of seeds?  ;)

jazzbyrd

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 08:14 »
Dont put out courgettes,cucumber,tomatoes runner or French beans it's too early!!!!!! wait until end of May or beginning of June. I haven't even sown my runners or french beans yet-haven't sown my sweet corn yet. If you put them out now be prepared by making sure you have plenty of cloches and fleece to cover them for the frosts we are sure to get. Personally I don't think it's worth all the hassle.

jazz :)
Do androids dream of electric sheep?

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 08:15 »
I would say it also depends on how far inland you are or are you in a hollow which is a frost pocket? I know people here "in the north" who have already got their french beans out as, being in a coastal situation, we are very unlikely to get more frost now. Despite the fact that the temperature has dropped under 6 C only twice in the whole of April in my garden, that's even a bit brave for us, we'll wait til May. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Lottie Mary

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:26 »
Hi needsomehelp, what part of Essex are you in? I'm in south Essex and so far I have only planted out Brussels sprouts, red cabbage, peas, mange tout, beetroot, radish and my spuds.  I have started my tomatoes, courgettes and squash in my conservatory - but forgot how quickly the courgettes and squash grow!! They are at the size where they should be planted out, but I will definitely be waiting till end of May at least as the weather is supposed to go cooler here soon. I haven't even started my beans yet (runner).  I do have cauliflower, broccoli and Swiss chard seedlings ready to plant out, but I'd be careful about planting out anything too sensitive yet.  I think this lovely weather has given us a false sense of security in thinking it's summer, but frost can still nip in and surprise us!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 09:33 »
I always chance planting out a few early beans and a courgette at the end of April, some years it works some years it doesn't. Win some lose some ;)

The main lot don't go out until mid may.

In the greenhouse the toms (for outside) are up and growing, the courgettes, cucumbers  and pumpkins are just being sown.

debih

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2011, 09:48 »
My pumpkin seeds are in the polytunnel, just coming through (excited kids wanted to plant them as early as possible) and my courgette seeds went in their pots last week.

I don't do my runner beans until May.  The old chap on our allotment told me to start them off in compost in a freezer bag on 23 MAY (very specific he was) and we did that last year and got 100% germination from them.  So that's when mine will get started off, potted up and then transplanted into the allotment in June (we are away on our holibobs from 11th June for one week so need to decide whether to keep the beans in the greenhouse for that time for a neighbour to water or put them in the lottie before we go and hope that someone is around to water them for us - I will no doubt be asking someone's advice on this nearer the time!)
I always find that work gets in the way of life.

troubrs

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2011, 13:56 »
I'm in Essex (Chelmsford area) & am quite nervous about planting things just yet. I have tomatoes, squashes, courgettes & some brassicas growing in trays in my conservatory & I've left them out in the garden the last few days to acclimatise in this nice weather. I have risked planting some carrots, beetroot & my potatoes, and will probably pop some runner beans in this week, only because I have loads of surplus seeds if anything goes wrong. Last year we had a late frost on 15th May & I lost my early potatoes. I also had an arson attack on my allotment so last year was not good for me & as a result I got 'the letter' from the council in march (after I had dug over 1/2 the plot) telling me about the long waiting list & saying my plot looked untidy (cheek of it!).

So this year, the plot is totally manured weeded & dug over ready for planting - can't wait to get things out there, but I will be holding off most things until mid May!

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2011, 15:36 »
I planted out pumpkin seeds in the greenhouse too many weeks ago as a germination test for saved seed from last year.  Needless to say I got 100% germination and I now have six pumpkin plants in the greenhouse (four went to a friend's greenhouse) with the largest showing signs of flower bud development.

I'll be risking putting the strongest three into the ground this week (I need the space) and making up some sort of giant cloche structures from scrap wood and whatever fleece or clear plastic sheet I have about.

There could be frosts for another four weeks or so.. but I'm game to take a chance on it with a few plants and hold some back in reserve.  On the plot next to mine there's been tomatoes planted outside for at least a week and they're looking strong.  All the other plotters reckon that's a gamble too far.. but if you've sown too many and/or too early it might be worth risking the spares.

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2011, 16:07 »
Mine are in, but until this week were covered with cloches each night.  Have gotten them ready for tonight, and the rest of the week, as well as some fleece.  Just couldnt wait and thought I'd just hope for the best.

Hampshire Hog

Re: what have you got in the ground
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 17:59 »
Have second early spuds showing along with carrots and beet.
In my consevatory I have just chitted sweet corn. Out side in a plastic greenhouse I have some outdoor toms, lettuce, runner beans courgette and squash plus leeks.

In cold frame I have borlotti beans and french beans.

I don't plan to put out any frost sensitive plants for at least another 2 weeks. Our last frost is said to be early May and last year my french beans sulked when put out too early

Cheers HH
Keep digging

troubrs

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 20:08 »
oh dear, and we DID have a frost here in Essex on Wednesday, all potatoes at allotment no 1 completely dead, & those at allotment no. 2 about 25% dead :-( - glad I held off most things although some poor person at our plot put out about 30 tomato plants & has lost the lot.

Alastair-I

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2011, 17:11 »
Dead? or just the tops burnt (they'll come back).

troubrs

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2011, 14:13 »
I had just the tops burnt & they've recovered very well. I was amazed though that my neighbour at the more exposed plot looked like his potatoes were completely dead, they were flattened & black, but even most of those are now coming back, albeit they'll be knocked back a bit!

clip
Can these go into the ground?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 07, 2013, 00:22
by al78
xx
What to get in the ground first?

Started by ConfusedGardener on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2014, 19:00
by ConfusedGardener
xx
what has everybody got in the ground already?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post June 03, 2010, 13:53
by GreenOwl
xx
What can go in the ground now??

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 00:10
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.733 seconds with 38 queries.