Repecka has Diahrea

• 6 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Repecka has Diahrea
« on: April 24, 2011, 12:10 »
I know I've misspelled it, but she does have a good dose of it.  We've isolated her, given her fresh water, chicken mash made soupy with water, and some meal worms to perk her attention up.  She's lissless.  We've put a few drops of Life-Guard in her water and Limestone flour in her mash.  I don't know what else to do for her.  Any help would be appreciated. 
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Helenaj

Re: Repecka has Diahrea
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 15:43 »
Sorry if anyone is eating, but what colour is the diarrhoea and is there any blood in it? White droppings could be coccidiosis, brown maybe E Coli and a runny greyish discharge (continuous) - vent gleet. How old is your hen?

LittleRedHen

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 17:36 »
Hi!  My hen is two years old.  The D is clear with some white in it.  She's had a more solid squirt since the post and hasn't pooed in about three/ four hours now.  She also had a massive drink of water since then.  She's still very dopey though.  I wonder if it is the heat? 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 21:42 »
Could well be heat and dehydration.  If she is better tomorrow it may be better to put her with a friend as they sometimes get even further depressed if kept alone.

Keep her shaded with plenty of food and water and if it is just heat, she should respond quickly  :)

LittleRedHen

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 09:35 »
Thank you!  She has perked up this morning.  But she tried to pass something about an inch long and it receded back into her vent.  She was really straining to pass it.  She passed a soft shelled egg three days ago.  I am thinking it might be the remains of that.  She's back with the rest of her flock and is taking interest in her surroundings, drinking water and eating.  Fingers crossed she passes whatever it is, unless its a prolapse.  I pray it isn't that!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 09:46 »
pop her into a sink with warm water and keep her there for at least 30 mins (keep the water temp up). If she has another soft egg it will help her to pass it  :). If an egg has broken inside her she may need to see a vet for a course of antibiotics.
Staffies are softer than you think.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 18:04 »
Thanks Joyful!  She's just about normal today.  After losing Molly just two weeks ago, we are a bit paranoid now. 

xx
Repecka has a Cold

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 14, 2012, 11:53
by jhub
xx
Repecka Died This Morning

Started by LittleRedHen on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 17, 2012, 06:18
by sneezer

Page created in 0.264 seconds with 38 queries.