How do i pick up and inspect my hens?

• 3 Replies

Jacinta

How do i pick up and inspect my hens?
« on: April 23, 2011, 19:11 »
Hello all, i picked one of my hens up for the first time according to how the lady i got them from said.  It went ok but i felt a little cumbersome and i'm not sure how happy she was about it.  The breeder said to gently grab the tail, pull the bird towards you and place a hand under the breast.  This is what i did but i didn't feel i could then maneuver her to check her vent etc.  How is this best done? Thanks.  :blink:

daisy1990

Re: How do i pick up and inspect my hens?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 19:21 »
I always gain their confidence so they dont struggle first.  Sit with them and get them to feed from your hand.  I then go behind them and pick them up by holding their wings to their sides (if they start flapping you will be startled and might drop them!)  When they get very confident with you they sometimes come to you to be picked up and jump into your lap, but this takes time.  I have never tried pulling their tail feathers and dont know why this would work!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Jacinta

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 19:31 »
Only got them on Sunday, but two of the three already jump on my knee, eat out of my hand and are really friendly.  The sit by me and i stroke their backs without any fuss.  The one i picked up today didn't struggle or flap but i felt uncomfortable holding with one hand to use the other to check her etc. I picked the most confident of the bunch too.  It's knowing where to hold so i have one free hand? 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 20:35 »
Pick them up by the tail and they can pull away and lose tail feathers.

Pick them up with both hands round the whole body as already said so they don't flap their wings. Have their head facing you.  Then put your right hand (if right handed) under their body, with 2or3 fingers in between their legs.  Your little finger then goes the other side of one leg and your thumb the other side of the other leg.

I'm not very good at explaing these things I'm afraid, but their legs will then dangle down and they can't get a purchase with their feet on your hand, so they will just sit there.  to turn them over to inspect their undercarriage and vent, then put your other hand on their back and you can turn them whichever way you want.  While they are sitting in your right hand, if you stroke them, they will probably go to sleep as they are so comfortable.  I always show this to customers when they come for their chickens.

Also I read somewhere that if you want your bird to sit still while you inspect it, hold it like I said with two hands, and make a big circle with them in the air for 10 turns, and it sort of hypnotises them.  I have tried it, and sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't! lol

xx
Final preparations before I pick up my hens - a few more Q's!

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 09:49
by Robster
xx
How to pick up a hen?

Started by Devonian on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 14:51
by Bigblacktaximan
xx
Can i pick your brains?

Started by too many girls on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 13, 2008, 13:56
by nettynoodles1
xx
tonics and pick-me-ups

Started by Truffle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2012, 21:18
by jhub

Page created in 1.124 seconds with 36 queries.