Advice for a future chuck keeper

• 9 Replies

doodles11

Advice for a future chuck keeper
« on: April 22, 2011, 23:02 »
Hi All,

I have loitered around for a while and whilst I am keen to keep chucks, I am worried about my garden location.
I have dogs and an artifical lawn ( :blink:) so I am looking to put the chuck house on concrete flags. 
Is this advisable?
Could I put anything on top of the flags to keep the chickens healthly and happy?
Is this a suitable location for chooks?

I am looking to keep 2-3 chooks for egg laying.

I am also quite worried about mites so am looking to steer away from wooden houses.
Do you recommend http://www.doodlehouse.co.uk/home or http://www.chickencoopsdirect.com/eco-chicken-loft.htm

Thanks  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advice for a future chuck keeper
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 23:41 »
have you thought about an eglu? they are so easy to clean and look great and for just 3 chickens are ideal.
I have 3 plastic houses but 2 of mine would be too large for you as they house at least 10 hens see in this link:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=73673.0

the 3rd is an eglu which I love.
the doodle houses look quirky I just don't like them being brilliant white.

I am now saving up for another 2 plastic houses - 1 for my sabelpoots and one for a hospital/broody coop.

keeping chickens on flags is fine so long as you build sides to keep the flooring in place as they like to scratch everything up. A lot of people use bark chippings on the floor.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 07:03 by joyfull »
Staffies are softer than you think.

wildwitchy

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 00:10 »
whatever housing you choose -allow for at least a couple more. Chicken keeping is seriously addictive. Or in perhaps mine or joyful's case perhaps 10 plus more & the odd duck & goose..........

doodles11

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 15:22 »
thanks for the tips.

I like the look of the solway arks, they are cheaper than the eglu. Which would you recommend?

If I put bark chippings on the flags, how often do they need cleaning up?

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 16:13 »
It really depends on what space you have, my big arks come on a pallet and weigh 70 kgs so rather heavy. They measure 5 feet by four however they do smaller ones.
I will point out though that I don't like their runs - the gauge of metal thickness is excellent but the holes are too big and there isn't a skirt to prevent foxes digging under. So if you was to get a solway ark then buy without the run and construct your own run. They now do a small ark with a smaller holed run but not sure if that has the skirt around it.
Eglu cube is ugly but the run is great (you do need several extension pieces though) and the eglu classic is brilliant if you only want 2 or 3 hens.
There are several other plastic houses such as the green frog designs and the doodle houses but neither of those offer a run so again you would have to construct your own.
At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference and I would if I was you take time to be absolutely sure and save your self a lot of money instead of wasting your hard earned pennies on cheap imports (unlike me when I first started  ::)).

doodles11

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 00:05 »
sorry....more questions!

I looked at the eglu classic and while it does seem good I was worried about having a coop that sat on the floor in case heavy rain, damp and snow made it cold and awful for the chucks.

I was looking at the raised coops, but the none wooden ones dont seem to have runs to go with them, unless its the cube....which is quite a lot of money.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 05:18 »
If you must have a plastic one I'd prefer the EGU classic for a small (3) number of hens.   The recycled types (and I've only seen the Green Frog ones in the flesh) are horrid black interiors like the blackhole of Calcutta for chickens.   I hate the perches which allow the birds to paddle about and pick in their droppings.  Parallel roosting bars are preferable and only the EGLU has an acceptable (though far from ideal) arrangement.  The popholes on all the designs are unconventional from the time honoured drop down pophole which is easy to automate if you think this might be important in the future.  The access and ease of maintenence of the EGLU classic sets it apart from the others.  At least the quirky design seems to be aimed at producing something targeted at the needs of the birds and not just a compromise to suit the materials.

I tend to agree that having it stood on the ground isn't ideal but you can always site it on a table (or make a platform).  

Just from reviewing the websites Omlet is the only company who seem to be coming at the problem from a knowledge of chickens.  The recycled plastic houses look like a solution looking for an application.  Basically they look a bit of a compromise designed to suit the materials rather than the birds. The Doogle house looks like the best of a poor bunch at least it doesn't look like a disgusting eyesore.  I agree the Solway arks website is not very informative being particularly weak on internal details which I'm personally very interested in.  Cleaning them out looks like a on your knees job to me so I'm not convinced about the ease of cleaning.  Access to the run also looks poor and the idea of having the feeder on the outside with holes for the chickens to poke their heads through is reminiscent of a battery cage system which I particularly dislike.

The Eglu Classic doesn't look out of place in a garden though the Cube isn't so pretty.

None of these houses have a viable run system though to be fair neither do most wooden houses either.

If red mite are your only concern with wood there are easy solutions to treating the wood to make them immune to infestations of any parasites.  However finding a well designed and made house built from robust materials for a reasonable price is no less a problem.  However you seem determined to go with plastic and if i was going to get a small plastic house for a "patio" situation I'd go for the EGLU on a wooden platform within an aviary type run which would probably need to be bespoke designed and built.  It's always the case that new keepers always start from the house rather than the run which in most cases is the key element in designing your chickens home.  Your space and method of husbandry should determine the design.

HF

« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 17:12 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

joyfull

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 07:46 »
My solways are black inside which I consider a good thing - how many times have people commented on here that in order to keep chickens quieter in the mornings to ensure the coop is dark and to block any light from coming in through windows etc. A coloured eglu is also dark when the door is shut as would be your wooden forshams HF  ;).
They also do removable floors which you lift out to clean however I didn't choose this option as I find that a shovel and then a good brush cleans it out brilliantly and quickly the back door in mine are very large. It is easy to remove the perches and to take the whole job apart if you wish to give it a good steam clean (just a matter of a few minutes) then dry and put back together. However they are agricultural looking resembling pig arks but as I live surrounded by farms it suits my setting.
By the way those people there do have ducks and chickens so have an understanding on needs but probably from a farming point of view as their main business is collecting plastic from farmers and then recycling that thus helping the planet at the same time  :).

hillfooter

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 17:18 »
My solways are black inside which I consider a good thing - how many times have people commented on here that in order to keep chickens quieter in the mornings to ensure the coop is dark and to block any light from coming in through windows etc. A coloured eglu is also dark when the door is shut as would be your wooden forshams HF  ;). Yes but when you take the sides off for cleaning you can actually see if  it's clean.  I bet you couldn't see the Red Mite even if you had them with the black interiors
They also do removable floors which you lift out to clean however I didn't choose this option as I find that a shovel and then a good brush cleans it out brilliantly and quickly the back door in mine are very large. It is easy to remove the perches and to take the whole job apart if you wish to give it a good steam clean (just a matter of a few minutes) then dry and put back together. However they are agricultural looking resembling pig arks but as I live surrounded by farms it suits my setting.
By the way those people there do have ducks and chickens so have an understanding on needs but probably from a farming point of view as their main business is collecting plastic from farmers and then recycling that thus helping the planet at the same time  :).It's a waste of good ground fill IMHO :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 17:19 by hillfooter »

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 17:33 »
Hf I can break mine down into it's individual components, quickly and easily, use an industrial steam cleaner (not like the little one you borrowed  ;)) and then put it back together, or I can simply wash it with soapy and water - no poultry shield or other potions needed  :D Plus no need to replace any wooden parts when they rot.
I would though advise anybody before getting a coop or ark to see one in person whether it is wood or plastic, check out the ease of cleaning, ease of maintenance and whether it will fit in with your surroundings. I used to hate the plastic arks until I saw the ones I have at the pig and poultry fair (have always loved the eglu though) and being married to a chap with a design and engineering background his views of the product came from a different angle and my type of ark came tops with him  :D.
May your timbers never rot HF  :D xx

xx
Help - Poorly chuck Advice Needed

Started by tinaq on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 21:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
advice for a new keeper

Started by MY-Five-gals on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 14, 2008, 21:49
by GrannieAnnie
question
Advice for a soon to be hen keeper...

Started by ActionFlack on The Hen House

29 Replies
Last post April 25, 2013, 18:21
by ANHBUC
xx
New Chicken keeper - advice please

Started by Jamrock on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 23, 2013, 09:29
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 38 queries.