I just want to sit and watch them!

• 4 Replies

SurreyLass

• Experienced Member
I just want to sit and watch them!
« on: April 22, 2011, 09:16 »
Oh, I never realised how fascinating and lovely hens are. I have had my 2 girls for nearly a month now, and I am totally in love with them! I marvel every day at how on earth they can produce such perfect eggs, and they make me chuckle every time I walk into the garden as they battle for prime flapping / viewing point to see if I am coming, and IF I might be bringing something!

My only regret is that I dont have a walk-in run - I wish I could have more physical contact with them. I cant let them free range, and they freak me out a bit when I try and open the little door to their run to put anything in, as they go bonkers.

If I was brave enough to open the door and let one of them step out, how would I get her back in again without madly chasing her round the garden??? I know who would be out - Henrietta! She isnt the boss, but she is the nosiest of the two of them!!!

bantam novice

Re: I just want to sit and watch them!
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 11:26 »
Welcome to Henaholics Anonymous  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 11:44 »
If I was brave enough to open the door and let one of them step out, how would I get her back in again without madly chasing her round the garden??? I know who would be out - Henrietta! She isnt the boss, but she is the nosiest of the two of them!!!

I would suggest you start 'training' them while they are still in the run.  Call them from one end of the run to the other, and when you're pretty sure you can get them to come when you call, let them out.

If you also make sure they're hungry the first time you let them out, they will be sure to come back in for food.

Another option is to let them out the first time about half an hour before bed.  Their roosting instinct will kick in at the normal time and they will be keen to get back in their coop for bed time.

Actually it will be interesting the first time you leave the door open.  Don't be surprised if they just peep out for a while and don't step out at all!

SoniaBA

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 19:37 »
I got mine used to the sound of the corn tin  ;) as soon as they hear it now they run into their run ready for me to drop some in  :D

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 20:09 »
Wilkinsons sell plastic coated  wire fencing 900mm x 10m for about £20 . It is heavy duty with 100x40mm mesh and will stand up on its own for a temporary pen while you are out in the garden with them.
Wickes sell the same @ £30.

xx
Finally got our chickens, i watch them

Started by bajmoe on Chicken Chat

16 Replies
Last post June 18, 2014, 17:06
by evie2
xx
The dangers of keeping chickens! A MUST WATCH!

Started by JaK on Chicken Chat

15 Replies
Last post July 07, 2013, 15:42
by tosca100

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 36 queries.