triffids

• 4 Replies

catweazle

• Experienced Member
triffids
« on: April 20, 2011, 20:13 »
right...

help!

slowly clearing my new plot, got the top 1/4 planted 2nd 1/4 is on its way but...

there is no grass on the bottom half all there is, is a mares tail lawn with some bindweed 'features'

just looking at it has me heading back to the top bit to to put the kettel on  :blink:

how on earth do i kill the stuff without napalm???

many thanks CW

edit: i'll put some pics up in a bit...
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 20:14 by catweazle »

prakash_mib

Re: triffids
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 20:19 »
marestail is one of the oldest living plant (from jurassic age) in the world. get the cue  :) you have to live with them. try hoeing, pulling as soon as they appear but getting rid of them is virtually impossible.
bindweed is a different story. good glyposhate (spelling) application will kill them and they come out very weak and they are very much manageable  :)
good luck
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 20:21 »
You could down the weedkiller root...and it sounds like you may need to if is really is that bad, or you could dig, dig and dig some more getting every single piece out that you can. 
If you aren't using that area this year then get some black plastic over it to cut out all the light and weaken it (slightly!)

Then as soon as it comes back just pull it out as much as you can or zap again with weedkiller applications.

We had really bad mares and bindweed, and we have slowly gotten it under control by digging it out as much as we can... 2 sometimes 3 times a year when the beds are emptied or just about to be with crops.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

flitwickone

• We Dig For Victory
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 20:34 »
im not mad   :nowink:  but look upon marestail as your best friend   :blink:as i do as (keep your friends close but your enemies closer) i do as othersi  pull it up as soon i see it but heres the clever trick go hunting for it when the earth is nice and damp DO NOT TUG SHARPLY but give it half a furtle and then pull slowly and then when you feel resistence  then tug and you should end up with a peice 4 to five inches long it takes ages for it to regrow in that particular place

good luck and happy hunting

catweazle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2011, 21:13 »
thanks given me some stuff to try :)

i had thought about brorrowing a dasiy cutter of the US air force but i dont think the assosiation would alow it...

many many thanks CW

xx
Courgettes or Triffids

Started by breton on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 20:25
by Dave Mack
xx
Greenhouse Triffids

Started by BabbyAnn on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 14:27
by goodtogrow
xx
Pumpkins - Or Triffids?

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 30, 2009, 06:40
by DD.
xx
My triffids are still growing...(Green maize/mielies)

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 24, 2016, 22:46
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.686 seconds with 36 queries.