dwarf beans won't germinate

• 11 Replies

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
dwarf beans won't germinate
« on: April 19, 2011, 09:48 »
Don't know what I'm doing wrong, but this is the third batch I've started off since the middle of March and none of them have germinated. I'm sowing them in 3" pots in the greenhouse. My runner beans and climing beans are looking good, as is everything else I've planted so far. Seeds are from T&M.

Any thoughts please?
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

Springlands

Re: dwarf beans won't germinate
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 09:53 »
Sounds like you have a bad batch of seeds especially as you have germinated other bead seeds successfully. I have not had any problems with my seeds from a different company - almost 100% germination. Only difference is that I did not sow my beans until beginning of beginning of April as I think that they need a bit more heat.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 09:56 »
I'll agree with the bad batch.  Looks like you will have to buy another pack (try Wilkinsons).  At least you have plenty of time to start more off   ;)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 10:20 »
mmm, thanks guys, I was also thinking a bad batch, except that I bought all my seeds from T&M this year and everything else has been great. I'll pick up some more from a different supplier and see what happens.  :)

viettaclark

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 10:21 »
I had this last year with a pack of Golden Teepee from T&M. If you have bought them this year then explain to their customer services. They should send a replacement.
Seed sellers shouldn't be able to get away with this and they would probably want to know if a batch is duff!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 10:40 »
T&M are usually pretty good about replacements.  If you bought the seeds from a garden centre, they will more than likely exchange them for you. 

Just a thought but is your greenhouse heated?  Dwarf beans are a bit more sensitive to cold than runners, so maybe a windowsill might give better results  :unsure:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 12:15 »
Just a thought but is your greenhouse heated?  Dwarf beans are a bit more sensitive to cold than runners, so maybe a windowsill might give better results  :unsure:

no, not heated but I have had them covered by a cloche whilst they were in the greenhouse for double insulation.

I'll take them back for an exchange. Thanks all for your advice  :)

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44 »
I had this problem last year, now I start (chit) all my large seeds in kitchen paper and a plastic container, they were placed in the kitchen window and had sprouted in 2 days, give this a try before buying new.
Paul

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 14:08 »
I have never chitted french or runners as apparently it can increase the risk of halo blight and if the plant has it, its goosed.
French and runners are so easy and quick normally I don't really see the point.
I have just sown my dwarf beans so I will keep an eye on them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Robster

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 18:15 »
I have had some mixed results with bean seed germination.  Failure or patchy germination in pots root trainers or directly.  So I took to chitting and noting germination rates before sowing the chitted seeds in root trainers.  Germination/chitting success has varied between a totally unacceptable 50% for some dwarf beans and 80% for some climbing beans this year.  At least sowing these into root trainers you get 100% growing on.  I am not so concerned about the cost of the seed (although 50% germination is pushing it) it's more the wasted effort and the time lost.

What are other peoples germination rates with this method?

fatcat1955

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 19:31 »
Make sure the compost is not too wet, french beans are notorious for rotting.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 09:28 »
Update:

I planted two more trays 10 days or so ago, 1 tray in the greenhouse, 1 tray in the cold frame with the lid open. Nothing from the greenhouse ones but all those in the cold frame have germinated  :)

I'm guessing that it was just too darn hot in the greenhouse!  :)

xx
Replacing dwarf beans with dwarf beans

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2022, 18:59
by Anton
xx
Broad Beans- germinate or plonk in ground?

Started by Etherelda on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 21:15
by sunshineband
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
How long for broad beans to germinate .. autumn sowing

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 07, 2013, 18:48
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.537 seconds with 37 queries.