Mites or lice- Please help

• 3 Replies

cammi

• Experienced Member
Mites or lice- Please help
« on: April 18, 2011, 22:32 »
One of my girls have what looks like the second photo down on this site

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

so it looks like she has mites not lice.  Although the thing i saw on her was light tan not dark red as they has described.   But the picture of the eggs is right.  Perhaps she has both!!

She has it quite bad. Shes has lost her top/outer feathers (sorry dont know technical terms) on her back so she is left with her fluffy ones, plus she has a bold patch on her neck where she scratches with her claws.  I got Frontline cat spray from the vets the other day and gave her and all the girls two spray behind their necks.  Thoroughly cleaned out their house at the weekend, diatom slurred it , put diatom in their bath etc, but i'm not convinced that she is getting better.............she seems to have lost another feather every day i look at her!

Should i give her another spray??  The vet said to also spray under the wings, which i didn't as i thought the whole idea was to put where they couldn't reach it.

Any advice what i can do............

Thanx  
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:14 by cammi »
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mites - Please help
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 22:47 »
Staffies are softer than you think.

cammi

• Experienced Member
Re: Mites - Please help
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 23:04 »
I have now! :tongue2:  really worried, as she has lost weight too! it looks more like a lice but not the eggs thats not right at all.  Will have to try and take a picture tomorrow

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Mites or lice- Please help
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 13:26 »
are they still crawling or is it just the eggs? The eggs shouldn't hatch but the only way to get rid of them is to pull the feather out or see if you can scrape the eggs off with your nails (where is a shuddering vomit smillie when you need one?). If after a week you still have crawlies then repeat by parting the feathers between the shoulder blades and giving a short sharp blast with the spray. Make sure you replace all the bedding and clean the coop out  :)

xx
Lice/mites

Started by Kym503 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 09, 2010, 10:32
by bantam novice
xx
What age can you treat chicks for mites/lice etc?

Started by carolbriar on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post July 06, 2012, 14:45
by carolbriar
question
Preventative measures for Lice/Mites/Worming etc?

Started by Happy-Hound on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 12, 2010, 07:28
by Fisherman
xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling

Page created in 0.288 seconds with 38 queries.