Sweetcorn in...

• 42 Replies

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
Re: Sweetcorn in...
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2011, 13:45 »
sown mine in pots in sets of 6 every 2 weeks. some are popping up now so quite happy everything is on schedule, hoping by mid may the 1st set have grown quite a bit then i can plan them outside.

just so difficult to wait!  :tongue2:

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 21:22 »
went to visit mine tonite after planting out on Monday...they are fine, and bigger even!  No frosts yet...
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

MoreWhisky

« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2011, 23:02 »
Ive not even chitted mine yet. Plenty of time yet imo.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

sachkrimbo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2011, 23:27 »
Mine have been in for just over a week.  Out grew pots so quickly.  But they are covered over with cloch type things at night if it goes below 10c. 

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2011, 23:30 »
Ive had one germinate out of 12.

I'll concentrate on something else..have never found SC worth the effort compared to the crop, and this has confirmed it
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

lacewing

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 06:10 »
Mine are in root trainers, hardening off for the past few days but are now begging to be planted out, as there are lots of roots showing through the bottom. I might  pop a few more seeds in, just in case,
There is no better show of antisipation than a man sowing seeds in a field.

Dreamer@45

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 19:14 »

I'll concentrate on something else..have never found SC worth the effort compared to the crop, and this has confirmed it

What variety did you plant? :ohmy:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 21:14 »

That's a shame as it's the one crop I think that is really worth GYO, as it tastes superb straight from the plot :)

did you use fresh seed, peapod?  like parsnips the seed doesn't store very well :(

Gandan57

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 21:49 »
I chitted mine on damp kitchen roll in a container this year for the first time. I`ve done half the packet and eventually 25 out of 27 germinated. However to start with only a few chitted so I then put another piece of kitchen roll on top of the seeds and boy did that do the trick!

They`ve just come through the surface in paper pots in the last couple of days.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 21:52 by Gandan57 »
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 23:24 »
Slow worm, I planted my sweetcorn, courgettes and runner beans under closhes today on the plot. It's been so warm, and at night too, it's tempting to give it a go, but I have back-ups just in case so I don't get too downhearted if they go belly up!

tontom

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 00:07 »
too early , you'll be sorry , patience is a virtue , just wait a month and everything will work out just fine . this nice weather sends a lot of people into a sense of false security, with the adverse weather conditions we've had the last few years it throws many people thinking that summers arrived and they are late getting their seeds sown , seedlings out in the beds . Forget sweetcorn for another 4 weeks . Rant over   :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 08:32 »
to be fair tontom, our last frost date here in the south, is quite a few weeks earlier than yours, so it's not that early for us :)

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 15:44 »
I seem to have a knack for annoying people on here, but I don't care!! I'll always try to plant things a bit early as sometimes it pays off, the soil is very warm and night temperatures are warm. I expect them to drop next month as they did last year though but I have closhes to cover then with. I have a greenhouse with more than enough back-ups so it doesn't matter if they sulk a bit. I'm doing things early this year as my baby is due in the middle of June and I won't have time then! Always the optimist!! :)

Jome

• Experienced Member
    • Blog
« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 15:46 »
Maybe when I'm tasting my first courgettes you'll be sorry!!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 23, 2011, 15:58 »
don't let them get you down, Jome, they forget we are in the tropical south  :lol:
It's worth gambling with a few seeds for an early crop, can always start again if it doesn't work.

Only do it if you know the risk and accept the odds  ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 16:03 by mumofstig »

xx
sweetcorn

Started by jenz on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2008, 20:46
by gobs
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 24, 2014, 11:19
by BabbyAnn
xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 16:10
by Headgardener22
xx
Sweetcorn

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 18, 2012, 10:55
by fatbelly

Page created in 0.889 seconds with 38 queries.