Ducks dying overnight-PLEASE help urgently!

• 8 Replies

lisacj

Ducks dying overnight-PLEASE help urgently!
« on: April 18, 2011, 21:09 »
Dear all,I have a flock of 16 mixed ducks who have been giving me upto 9 eggs a day. Yesterday I had only 1 egg and one of one of my White Bali females had ruffled feathers and looked a bit under the weather. She was dead this morning. Today I have had no eggs and my magpie female is looking ruffled and poorly. I'm terrified she will also be dead by morning. Their food isn't mouldy,they have fresh water and the others look fine. I'm stumped. They haven't been wormed - could this be it? They aren't sneezing and have no other symptoms. Please does anyone have a clue?

jesschocolate28

Re: Ducks dying overnight-PLEASE help urgently!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 21:44 »
im not sure whats happening to your ducks :( but seeing as one has already passed away due to it, you need to call your vet immediately! & if possible get your ducks down there! good luck :)
Who was the first person to say, "See that chicken there?   I'm gonna eat the next thing that comes outta its butt."   Minnie&Bonnie<3

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 22:02 »
Could it be rats..... taking the eggs and attacking the ducks..??

Cant think why there would be such a sudden rate of mortality :(
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 22:17 »
if the magpie is still with you in the morning then get her to a vets asap, they could have eaten something that doesn't agree with them or they may have something contagious. However if she passes away then again take her first thing to a vets for an autopsy  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 22:20 »
I had a duck die for no reason I could find last year, then another looked as though it was going the same way.  I took her away from the others with one for company, and with lots of tempting feed she pulled round, and was eventually fine

I think it may have been bullying and the stress of egg laying combined, at least that is the only thing I can think.  She had no medicines, though I did give her rescue remedy in her water.

She wasn't keen to eat at all, but I gave her chopt hard boiled egg mashed with chickweed and oatmeal, and what finally did it was the live mealworms sprinkled on top - irresistible

Hope she / they get well for you - its horrid having something ill

All the best
Sue

I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Helenaj

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 07:25 »
The fact that they have all gone off the lay makes me think it is either stress - they've been frightened by something, or it's something they've eaten. Check the feed - is it a new bag (could be contaminated) or are there plants coming up in your enclosure that may be poisonous? Check their water - any algae or is it fed by a river that may have been polluted? Try to eliminate the obvious first, and if no improvement or if another looks ropey, then a visit to the vets is a must.
I've just looked through my Waterfowl book and there is something called Duck Virus Enteritis and it's the only one that seems to fit what you've said -  the symptoms are off colour one day and dead the next, with the bird suffering brown or green faeces. Muscovies are very prone to it. It is spread through contact with wild ducks and also water contamination.
 It states for treatment - cordon off all suspect water sources and clean and disinfect all equipment. Use plastic containers for water as they can be easily cleaned and put Terramycin in their water for 7 days. It may not be it, but hope it helps.

Let us know how they get on.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 09:29 by Helenaj »

jamima

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 09:28 »
Looked in my book for some answers , i would worm them they need doing regularly, cant find much else i'm afraid, have they been bullied by the males when mating, sorry hope all goes well .

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 09:31 »
I think I was posting the same time as Jamima - I've updated my earlier post.

lisacj

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 21:10 »
Dear all, I'm delighted to report thatMrs Magpie is still with us! :D We even had three eggs this morning and so hopefully over the worst. Thanks so much for your help and support, you've helped more than you know! :D

xx
do ducks need water and food overnight

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 19, 2009, 20:44
by rossivale
xx
HELP URGENTLY!!

Started by Jane-M on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:30
by Caralou
xx
YAY they are laying.....overnight though ?????

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 13:54
by helens-hens
xx
Help needed urgently please!

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 01, 2011, 09:06
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.266 seconds with 37 queries.