Children around chickens?

• 6 Replies

xhappychickx

• 1 rhode island, 1 maran, 1 baby leghorn
Children around chickens?
« on: April 18, 2011, 21:08 »
Hi all...

Is it safe to let chickens roam your garden where young children may play?

Many Thanks :)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Children around chickens?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 21:36 »
It's certainly safe, but just be aware there will be chicken poo everywhere so you'll need to have a plan to deal with it!  When children play in my garden we have rules like:
  • Don't chase the chickens
  • Always take your shoes off when you come back indoors
  • Always wash your hands after you've been playing in the garden

I let the childrens' owners know that there is chicken poo on the grass so they can choose whether to let their children play out there in their best clothes. 

Children have been playing on farms where animals graze for many, many generations.  Most of us survive.  :)

xhappychickx

• 1 rhode island, 1 maran, 1 baby leghorn
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 06:43 »
Thank you  :D

cammi

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 09:27 »
Yes definately, i have a 21/2 and 5 year old boys, they love the chicken and the chicken love them especially at snack time.  My 21/2 year doesnt even care when the girls get too excited and 'bite' his finger at snack time.

Yesterday the boys where both on their noisy battery powered cars, the girls didn't care at all, the boys brought them into their game by pretending the chickens where crossing the road and they had to stop at the crossing and wait till they were out the way lol.  (our garden isnt that big really either)

The only problem we have is at sandwich time, Pearl would jump up and take their food, problem solved, the boys now eat their sandwiches up on their climbing frame lol.

Poo doesnt cause a problem, we just have to wear our crocs or flip flops this year instead of bare feet thats all.

Hope that helps
Clare
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 12:05 »
Unlike dog and cat cack, chicken cack is pretty safe although a little pongy, as far as I know there are no worms that are a problem to humans.
I have kids and they love being with the chooks, and the chooks on the whole like them.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 12:44 »
I agree, my cousin's grandson is allergic to everything!  So although he has to be dosed up with his tablets before he touches the dog or the chooks, he loves sitting out there playing with them and giving them dandelions!

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 16:01 »
I have three children and three chucks.  We've had no probs.  As already mentioned watch out for the poop!  The only change I have made is I buy that anti-bacterial handwash now to make my OH happy! :)
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

xx
Children and chickens

Started by Jane Vennik on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post September 15, 2007, 00:21
by Tensing
xx
children, chickens and this forum

Started by westie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 21:07
by Porffor
xx
4 happy chickens and 3 helpful children

Started by westie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 15, 2008, 16:01
by Jellyhead
xx
Help! Poorly children

Started by adw on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 11:33
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.529 seconds with 36 queries.