Oxygenating plants

• 20 Replies

Rene

Re: Oxygenating plants
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2011, 23:06 »
not seen much of the tadpoles this week, when i go near the pond the few Ive seen dart off into the shady corner to hide, they are getting bigger but didnt see any legs coming yet when i saw them last weekend? do they hide as they are about to change? :unsure: Also do i need to keep the comfrey leaves from dangling into the water? as i know it makes potent fertiliser in a bucket of water pretty quickly so thought it might not be good for the pond water ??? saw a water boatman bug at the weekend too and lots of larvae of mosqitos i think especially where i moved the comfrey out of the water.

Paul Plots

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 23:28 »
Tadpoles appear to be harder to find as time goes on but they have a nasty habit of the biggest eating the smaller ones.  :tongue2: So I guess by the time they are almost ready to change into froglets there are usually far fewer of them around.  :blink:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Rene

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2011, 14:33 »
Yeah I heard that, seen a couple this morning when the sun was shining before dissappearing under a rock, theres plenty of rocks in there for them to hide under, survival of the fittest then, natures way. Still dont know about the comfrey touching the water and if its a bad thing or not, will keep pulling those leaves out until i know, theyre good for the compost anyway. theyre growing on 2 sides on the other side of the liner and give good shade.

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2011, 20:20 »
Comfrey touching the pond water shouldn't be a problem unless the plant begins to die off and then, like any dead plant material, it will begin to influence the water quality.

Rene

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2011, 22:30 »
thanks learner, after i came off here earlier i googled comfrey and pond to discover comfrey is a pond /bog plant so then thought it should be ok. theres plenty of life in there and everything else looks fine and hunky dory 8) spottrd another taddy later this afternoon when i went back down, it darted under a rock when my shadow cast over the water. Pond is new to me so need reassuring especially after being ticked off for accepting the tads from another pond.  :mellow:

Paul Plots

« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 00:30 »
I wish you luck with the new pond - they are great to have in any garden as they attract so much wild-life. The frogs alone will help reduce slugs and flies.

Frogs have a knack of finding water and any new pond will soon fill up with all sorts of critters. My old cast-iron bath on the plot has become home to water-boatmen... not the safest place for them to be! I worry about scooping them up every time I fill my watering can but they seem to scoot out of the way pretty fast!

Keep an eye on the oxygenating plants – you may find you need to thin this out a little by the end of the summer as it grows like wild-fire.  ;)

xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
xx
plants for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 14:45
by mdjlucan
xx
New Plants

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2020, 11:34
by mrs bouquet
xx
Box Plants

Started by mikeimp on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 26, 2012, 14:10
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 28 queries.