Moving potatoes ??

• 6 Replies

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
Moving potatoes ??
« on: April 18, 2011, 01:45 »
Hi

I am in the very lucky position of having a retired architect dad, who now potters around and does joinery and carpentry for fun.  He has very kindly offered to build me a beautiful summer house for the plot, which should be ready in the next few months.  The best place for this to go is on a patch of ground that I have JUST in the past three weeks put my potatoes into.

They are not showing yet and I wondered whether it would be possible to dig them up and transplant them somewhere else, or if they're just doomed now ???

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Moving potatoes ??
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 07:21 »
Moving the potatoes doesn't sound like a good idea to me. I think you're likely to damage any growth/shoots which have started to establish underground.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

sarajane

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 08:00 »
Its not too late to buy some more potatoesto plant.  I know I would sooner do this and have the luxury of a summer house

simonwatson

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 16:14 »
If you do try and move them, you need to move them like you would a large shrub, taking a big plug of soil all around them. All in all, it will be much easier to put some more in. A lot of the seed potatoes in the garden centers now are effectively pre-chitted as they've been sitting out in bright light for a few weeks.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 16:37 »
He has very kindly offered to build me a beautiful summer house for the plot, which should be ready in the next few months.

If your father takes things at a nice gentle pace and your spuds are earlies you might just have the best of both worlds!  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 20:15 »
Even if they're not earlies you could harvest them early.They'll just not have reached as big a tuber as they would have done-then you can sit in your new summerhouse & share them with your dad :D
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Kimberley04

• Experienced Member
  • Very new to all this gardening lark
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 10:57 »
Thanks all for tthe advice - I'm going to do exactly that and leave the potatoes be (which have JUST started showing, so how could I disturb them now ???) and if need be harvest them early.

I will need to start sorting out a base shortly, but as it'll be an off the ground one, I'm just going to try and work it around the potato rows as best as I can.  It could make harvesting tricky, but I'll just have to live with that.

Thanks again

xx
moving potatoes

Started by vanessa.xx on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 20, 2013, 15:25
by vanessa.xx
xx
Moving potatoes from greenhouse to outside

Started by thumperrabbit on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2013, 10:01
by thumperrabbit
xx
moving veg

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2015, 08:22
by Nobbie
xx
Moving on.

Started by Ruth Cross on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2008, 20:06
by gobs

Page created in 0.366 seconds with 37 queries.