Countryside etiquette

• 21 Replies

sion01

Countryside etiquette
« on: April 17, 2011, 16:56 »
I like to gleen as much of my food as possible from the wild(it gives me a smug feeling and it's free) and for more years than I'd care to admit I have been setting a perfectly legal gill net on the beach.
This afternoon i went to check the net and there were three people there .A mother and daughter were standing on the shore while the son in his late teen's was waste deep in the water trying to get at my fish.When I went up to them the mother said that they were going to get fish for tea :mad:
i explained to her that it was my net and that they were stealing.She tried to take the moral high ground by asking me if I had a permit to conduct such an activity where by I explainet that I didn't need one.I went on to explaine that what she was doing was the same as standing and watching her son stealing the hub caps of a car.The three of them left without so much as an apology. :mad: :mad: :mad:
How the hell do people expect their kid's to grow up in to balanced individuals when they aren't given any guidance.How would she feel if I was walking along the street she lived in ,in whatever town or city she lived in and started picking flowers from her front garden(I dought she had a garden though.Growing anything herself was beyond her ignorance I think :dry:).

Trillium

Re: Countryside etiquette
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 17:24 »
You'll never get through to such thick heads as that's how the parents were also raised.

In my small town I have a fair chunk of ravine property that I don't do much with as it's a treed ravine but I do leave all the wild black raspberries there for the birds so they won't raid my raspberry patch. Imagine my surprise when one day I found a car load of people picking the berries there. I asked what they were doing and they said they didn't want to see the berries go to waste on un-owned land. Yeah, right. Like free land is ever gonna happen.  I informed them that I owned the land and I wanted them out. They left with much grumbling about wasting resources, etc. Since I pay the taxes on that land, it's my resources to waste as I choose, which was to keep the birds out of my food.

That was bad enough, then the next year the strip of property below mine was sold and I found the new owner setting in survey sticks to build his new house on my ravine. Seems the realtor, another ignoramous, told them that it was unclaimed land and they could consider it theirs. So they planned to, until we straightened them out. The bottom strip is up for sale again and this time I think I'll post a sign at the boundary that it's private property  >:(

maxyboo

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 17:39 »
People are generally rude and ignorant in my opinion. We have a clasic lotus elan and we we have returned to our car to find parents letting their children fiddle with it and even lifting them over the side so they can sit in it! When we ask them not to touch we get abuse or "Oh sorry I didn't know we couldn't touch it"! Yet they would be astounded if I went and sat in their cars and moved the mirrors etc. If they asked we would have no problem in letting kids sit in the car but this just drives us mad. And the kids learn from theses idiots.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 08:04 »
@sion01 where abouts are you ive been trying for bass for a few weeks on rod and line but it is still a little early up here

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 08:40 »
like you maxyboo we have vintage vehicles (lorries) and regularly find people climbing inside or sitting on the back eating and drinking. These vehicles cost a lot of time and money to restore and they are not there to be used as climbing frames or as picnic tables  :mad:. If people ask nicely we happily let their kiddies sit inside and tell them what all the levers and buttons are for etc.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Paul Plots

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15 »
We had similar problems with our children when they were little - always wanting to go and look and "touch" whenever they saw a really decently bicycle and trailer.

Somehow they hardly noticed the cars.  ;)

(We discouraged them from touching!)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:17 by Learner »
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

gillie

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 14:01 »
Our property faces onto a bridle path and we have a line of huge holly trees at the front.

One December I caught a man cutting holly berries and told him to stop.  He said that the track was a public right of way and he could do what he liked.  I explained he could walk  along the path but not steal as he did so.  Did he pick flowers from peoples front gardens when he walked along a pavement?  He left sulkily.

sion01

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 17:18 »
I'm in North Wales Mike.The bass don't really leave all year.I was talking to a fisherman and he said they were more common then they'd ever been(he's been a professional fisherman for 30 years).

Paul Plots

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 01:34 »
I'm in North Wales Mike.The bass don't really leave all year.I was talking to a fisherman and he said they were more common then they'd ever been(he's been a professional fisherman for 30 years).

Could this be due to cold winter weather and increased food sources as a result?  :unsure:
Just a thought.

"Countryside etiquette" - not many bass to worry about on our edge of the South Downs  ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 07:30 »
I have been walking around work in the past, and a woman dropped the wrapper of her fag packet. The little lad with her said Mum your not aloud to do that they have been telling us at school all about dropping litter. Poor little lad got so much abuse from the mother.
I was much younger then and didn't have the guts to say anything but sure would do now.  I felt so sorry for the little lad her was doing the right thing.
 Litter is a big part of our Job and more so this year as the park is so much busier than it has been in the past.

Thanks
Kris

sion01

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2011, 18:18 »

Could this be due to cold winter weather and increased food sources as a result?  :unsure:
Just a thought.

"Countryside etiquette" - not many bass to worry about on our edge of the South Downs  ;)
I think there's more bass because the fisheries have set up areas where you can't fish for certaine times of the year when the fish are spawning.It's really working well

8doubles

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 18:30 »

Just a thought.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?action=post;topic=75215.0;num_replies=10#top
I think there's more bass because the fisheries have set up areas where you can't fish for certaine times of the year when the fish are spawning.It's really working well
The bass nurseries probably do help but a lot of the increase must be down to global warming.
Here in the south we also get lots more black bream plus gilt head bream, red mullet and even trigger fish that were absent 10 years ago.
The flounder have virtually disappeared .

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 18:32 »
'The gang' have just had our first sea fishing trip of the year and the mackerel were throwing themselves at us.  About half of my catch was delivered to the elderly people who live in our little cul-de-sac.  :D  Brownie points coming out of my lugs.   :D  Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2011, 18:34 »
our older fisherman have told me time and time again that in our area since we had a necular power station built the fishing has changed for the better the summer fish (mackrel breem bass and smaller species like dragonette) have arived earler and stayed later every year and up untill around 15 years ago bass were prety much never seen on our coast
maby its a coincidence mabey its global warming no one can tell
im not going to complain tho it means more sport for me  :D

8doubles

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2011, 18:40 »
'The gang' have just had our first sea fishing trip of the year and the mackerel were throwing themselves at us.  About half of my catch was delivered to the elderly people who live in our little cul-de-sac.  :D  Brownie points coming out of my lugs.   :D  Cheers,   Tony.
Nothing beat a FRESH mackerel for flavour, you have to catch them or be given them. :D

our older fisherman have told me time and time again that in our area since we had a necular power station built the fishing has changed for the better the summer fish (mackrel breem bass and smaller species like dragonette) have arived earler and stayed later every year and up untill around 15 years ago bass were prety much never seen on our coast
maby its a coincidence mabey its global warming no one can tell
im not going to complain tho it means more sport for me  :D

It is no coincidence that most power station outfalls are bass nurseries. :)

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 37 queries.