Broccoli Ready To Plant Out?

• 2 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Broccoli Ready To Plant Out?
« on: April 17, 2011, 10:07 »
I have some healthy looking broccoli seedlings potted and in my garden. They are about 2 inches at present and I'm wondering if they are ready to be introduced to the soil in my allotment. Would it be prudent to wait a while, or will the generally warmer south coast climate allow planting now? If so, what's the advised spacing between broccoli? Also, I guess some protective netting wouldd be helpful?

Any thoughts and help most appreciated.

whippersnapper

• Experienced Member
Re: Broccoli Ready To Plant Out?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 11:10 »
Hi erainn

I'm assuming that you are growing a large headed calabrese variety? What variety is it exactly?

I've grown calabrese for previous 3 years on my plot but not bothered this year. The problems I found were (a) it ran to seed far to readily, leaving me with a very small edible crop (b) the heads where not large or tightly packed like you'd find with a supermarket type (c) require a fair bit of space and netting.

Anyhows, some of my problems may be down to the variety I chose ('Green Heading Calabrese' from realseeds) or my location etc. So good luck!

I would encourage you to (a) start hardenning off plants, if not already (b) firm down the soil in your bed quite substantially i.e. heel over (c) plant with good spacing between plants of 18 inches or so, they get quite big (c) net them now to keep out white cabbage fly

erainn

• Experienced Member
Re: Broccoli Ready To Plant Out?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 11:33 »
Hi,

Thanks for your help on that. Mine is the Purple Sprouting Broccoli, and have been outside in pots for past week, so hopefully hardened off now.

xx
Am I too late to plant broccoli?

Started by mushroom on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post June 24, 2007, 23:36
by gillybee
xx
what to plant ready for spring

Started by jimroden on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 16, 2007, 22:28
by gobs
xx
Potatoes chitted but not ready to plant

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2011, 16:09
by Sweet Pea 2
xx
When are icerberg lettuce seedlings ready to plant?

Started by ineedhelp on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 22, 2010, 13:36
by tweetpia

Page created in 0.586 seconds with 36 queries.