Spacing of Peas please

• 11 Replies

Zippy

Spacing of Peas please
« on: April 16, 2011, 23:55 »
I think I recall that, if sowing direct, you space pea seed about 1 inch apart in a flat drill.

If you start your pea seed off in modules as I have been doing - to give my peas a chance against mice and slugs - they tend to be around three inches apart.

Is this too close together - or are they too far apart even?

Are they sown direct about one inch apart to take into account losses?

Paul Plots

Re: Spacing of Peas please
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2011, 01:23 »
3" apart is suggested in my book for direct sowing.

I must have too much time on my hands - I soak my pea seed first then put each one into a tiny paper-pot then finally plant out at almost exactly 3" apart in a triple row.  ::)

It works.  ;)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 07:08 »
Three inches seems a bit far apart for peas I have just sown mine and just dropped them in the trench, probably got a bit carried away but I have planted three hundred in a 11 foot trench  ???

katiekate

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 08:06 »
I like to sow closely and eat the thinning when they get a couple of inches tall.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 11:20 »
A quote from here: Peas apart

"Sow the seed in these rows, singly and a couple of inches apart. Cover lightly again and then erect bamboo canes every couple of feet along the rows, with one placed across the top of all of them, fashioning a kind of "picket fence"; stretch netting across these to provide extra support for the growing tendrils."

Mine have a bit more space it seems  ::)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 11:25 »
3 in apart is ok, but they are usually planted in a double or triple row....this explains it all ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.msg602800#msg602800

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 16:58 »
Having always faffed about with depth, spacings, feed etc and having had the best swedes I've ever grown last year when I just sprinkled some seed in a vacant space, thinned them out and didn't do much else, this year, partly due to time constraints, I'm adopting the "bung-it-in-and-see" approach. I've just sown my peas today and made a small 6" wide trench approx 2" deep, sprinkled the seeds willy-nilly into that, spread the soil back, gently trod on them and watered the rows.  Time will tell..!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 17:10 »
3 in apart is ok, but they are usually planted in a double or triple row....this explains it all ;)

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=50902.msg602800#msg602800

I should have added that mine go into a triple row 3" apart along the two outside edges and then in-filling. I add canes along the outside, connected by strings and topped with a net that drapes over to the ground.

It was trial and error three years ago but seemed to work well enough so I've stuck to this method.  ;)

Few people seem to grow peas on their plots on our site. I don't know why as they are a superb crop.  :happy:

Goosegirl your method sounds much more sensible than my "chit, pot-up into paper-pots & plant-out". Certainly quicker so I'm going to try a row using the good old fashioned method and see what comes up.  ;)

Snap Dragon

• I want chickens... and ducks!
    • http://thedragonsden1.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 18:58 »
Last year I started my peas off in guttering.... they grew lovely and looked very green and healthy but as soon as they went into the ground they just seemed to stop growing!!!

This year I'm going with Goosegirls method of 'bunging' them straight in the ground!  :D
Snappy 

No amount of time can erase the memory of a good cat, and no amount of masking tape can ever totally remove his fur from your couch.

I could give up chocolate but I'm not a quitter.

Gandan57

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 22:56 »
I buy half a kilo for £1.35, any dearer and it wouldn`t be economic to grow them. That`s enough for a 20-25 foot row, six inch wide drill and just drop them in. I just move apart any that are touching. For support wooden stakes 6 foot apart either side of the row and horizontal baler twine tight between the stakes at 5-6 inch spacing. I put the twine up before the peas reach it and tuck the growing points inside it.
I`m left handed, what`s your excuse?

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2011, 08:59 »
from the allotmenteers i heard that spacing really isn't an issue for peas so maybe inch apart. i had mine at 2 inches and was told you can squeeze one more between them.

Zippy

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2011, 09:19 »
Think I've got some inter-sowing to do then!

Maybe that's an idea - plant some and sow in between - that way you are assured of some plants at least and all of them at best.

xx
Spacing in Raised Beds (and spacing in general!)

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 22:09
by Ice
xx
Why is row spacing wider than between plant spacing?

Started by Browseruk on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2023, 11:39
by Goosegirl
xx
Need some help with spacing's please.

Started by Dantheman on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 19:22
by Dantheman
xx
Spacing.

Started by BOB3554 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post December 24, 2008, 20:24
by waddecar

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 38 queries.