Leggy Seedlings Advice Sought

• 5 Replies

erainn

• Experienced Member
Leggy Seedlings Advice Sought
« on: April 16, 2011, 23:14 »
Planted some french beans in 3 inch pots behind glass in south facing position,  the seedlings are now getting a touch leggy. Apart from a re-pot should I move into some shadier area to slow down the growth? Any advice most welcome.

katiekate

Re: Leggy Seedlings Advice Sought
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 23:27 »

I'm no expert but I've read that putting a tin foil covered bit of card behind seedlings mean they get more light all around them and don't get so leggy. Also heard that seeding that are exposed to air movement (so those out doors) grow stronger and less leggy.. when indoors some people 'tickle' (brush lightly with fingers) seedlings to promote sturdiness. I think it makes sense  as seedlings that are exposed to movement develop sturdier as a result of having to withstand the environment.

When are you going to harden them off? It might pay to do it sooner rather than later..

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2011, 01:11 »
Put them outside during the day and bring them in at night.

If you have a cold-frame, after a week of days out and nights in you could move them to the cold-frame. Bring them back in if a frost threatens.

Do not plant out until the threat of forst is over or you will probably lose them.
Good luck.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

kevinp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2011, 07:19 »
I have been growing toms and other seedlings in my window sill to get them started and the first few times I tried they grew leggy so I followed advice on here and put some silver foil behind the next lot and it has helped a lot and they are now thriving.

I had big plans of making some neat surrounds but in the end I didn't even do a very good job of the silver foil but it helped a lot :)

erainn

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 10:01 »
Thanks everyone for your helpful and kind advice :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:47 »
Planted some french beans in 3 inch pots behind glass in south facing position,  the seedlings are now getting a touch leggy.
I presume Dwarf French, rather than Climbing? (Climbing will grow like blue-blazes, so if they are Climbing type they may just be ... climbing :), rather than getting leggy.

The Dwarf type (well, like most Beans I suppose) chuck out a fairly tall stem to start with - maybe as much as 4" - so it may be mostly / just that.

But low light levels will exacerbate it, and getting them the most light you can will help. Putting them out during the day will help - the cooler / higher light conditions will make them more stocky.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 12:48 by Kristen »

question
Leggy seedlings

Started by Caddi fuller-teabags on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2009, 11:25
by sclarke624
xx
leggy seedlings

Started by rookie1 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 30, 2012, 20:23
by rookie1
xx
Leggy Seedlings

Started by jennyb on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2007, 16:53
by yummy
xx
LEGGY SEEDLINGS

Started by martin hall on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 16:12
by Aidy

Page created in 1.339 seconds with 36 queries.