poultry for profit

• 10 Replies

andy1

poultry for profit
« on: August 26, 2007, 11:41 »
hi,,im new to this site,,i have 4 birds,,2 mixx brown hens,,1 copper black maran,,and 1 bupp orpington,,cockarel,,well recently iv been thinking about maybe starting a small free range poultry farm for eggs to start with then meat {maybe} i was wandering if anybody on this site  owns a poultry buissnes ,and if they could give me a bit of info, thanks

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
poultry for profit
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2007, 13:59 »
Hiya marsbartoes welcome to the site, can't help you on your question I'm afraid just wanted to say hi  :D hang on theres bound to be a few replies soon.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
poultry for profit
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2007, 14:56 »
My OH keeps on about being a poultry farmer, but I think sometimes its best these days to keep it small and sell first of all to friends and family and see how it goes.

It costs a lot of money to set up a reasonable size poultry farm (I've researched it a lot over the last few years) and these days there is such a lot of red tape and cheap foreign imports, that a lot of people we know have already given up.

Saying that, we found out yesterday through reading the Farmers Guardian, that the man we used to buy his old free range hens when they were past their best, is doing very well at the moment!  But when you think that the supermarkets only pay about 50p a dozen for free range eggs, you have to have a lot of chickens to make any decent money, then after 72 weeks, you have to get rid of them, and maybe only get 10p each if they go to someone like Flatmans for processing into dog food, or maybe 50p or £1 if you sell them on to backyard keepers.  Get more POL in and it starts all over again!

But if you are still interested, look at John Bowlers website, they can help you set everything up, and they reckon they will buy all your eggs, but we haven't actually tried them yet.

www.johnbowler.co.uk

skyblue

poultry for profit
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2007, 18:59 »
Hi

Don't expect to get rich selling egss unless you have a lot af space and a lot of money. You will also have to be very clear about how you are going to keep your chickens and their profitable lifespan. i keep around fifty chickens for eggs and sell to family and friends, you will find a ready market for quality fresh eggs but only on a small scale. the profit i make from mine allows me to run my car for the year (not including petrol).
Featheredfriends.org.uk

GrannieAnnie

poultry for profit
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2007, 20:01 »
Hi Skyblue, what's the going rate for eggs over your way?

I've only been charging £1.20 a dozen here, but that is the going rate for our 2nd rate eggs (that's apparently what they call the eggs from ex battery chooks!!!)  But I have seen free range eggs advertised for £2.00 a dozen, whereas elsewhere they are £1.40 and £1.50!!

Their food has gone up twice this year already!! And set to get worse with all the flooding ruining crops.

andy1

poultry for profit
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 20:12 »
hi sky...thats what i would like to do,,just keep it as a money making hobby,,a bit of extra cash sounds good,,thing is ive got no land,my mother has got a friend with a lot of land,he rents some of it out for horses,,so im gonna ask him for a small bit to rent,,i would also like to a few cockerels to so i could sell some fertile eggs of diffrent breeds,,,,im full of ideas

GrannieAnnie

poultry for profit
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 20:28 »
Well good luck Andy, you know what they say about little acorns!!!

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
poultry for profit
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 01:41 »
how many dollar is 2 poounds. a dozen eggs over here goes for about $2 caged-$5 if free range
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

si-mate

• Experienced Member
poultry for profit
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 08:27 »
And food will continue to rise dramatically over the next few months. Wheat and barley have more than doubled in price over the last few months.

mushroom

poultry for profit
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 09:36 »
Quote from: "chicksforkicks"
how many dollar is 2 poounds. a dozen eggs over here goes for about $2 caged-$5 if free range

2 pounds is roughly 4 USD.

skyblue

poultry for profit
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2007, 18:29 »
Hi

Like i said, i keep about 50 chickens for eggs, they free range so find most of their food themselves, i charge £1.50 doz and usually don't have enough for the demand, but if you start to get to big you have to then work out how much time you are going to spend on it, plus the cost goes up feed,medication,worming,cleaning chemicals and the like and its not easy if you work full time and have a family. I also keep a few ex battery hens but mainly light sussex and r/r, i also hatch a few out to keep my stock levels up and sell the surplus.

xx
Poultry Spice, Poultry Zest, Garlic, Apple Vinegar, Verm-X, Liquid Tonic etcc

Started by OpiumEater on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 09:28
by Kenilworth
xx
The joy of poultry

Started by kizza on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 19, 2006, 11:42
by Huswyf
xx
Poultry ark

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2008, 20:04
by Andy J
xx
Poultry Spice

Started by trinacooke on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 00:08
by wildwitchy

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 36 queries.