Broody Hen

• 16 Replies

Chicken star

Broody Hen
« on: April 16, 2011, 17:07 »
Help! I have my first broody hen and i'm not sure what to do.
She's been sat on (I think) about 4/5 eggs for 2 days now. She makes a strange noise if you go near her and is off her food!
There is a good chance some of the eggs are fertilised as she runs with a cockerel and quite a lot of eggs we get are fertilised.
But i don't know what to do with her she's free range so at the moment she's nestled herself in the spare stable which i use to store shavings and horse food so i need to go in there every day also the other hens can also get inside the stable and there's no way i can block it off.
Do i need to move her or shall i leave her?
I really don't know what to do! Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks ChickenStar

PaulineM

Re: Broody Hen
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 17:14 »
I would be tempted to just let her get on with it, if you can put her and her eggs somewhere a bit quieter then I would, but she must feel safe enough there if it is where she has choosen to sit.  :)
Also make sure she has access to food and water and make sure she is leaving the eggs at least twice a day to eat and toilet, some broody's will starve themselves if they are not made to leave the nest, 10 mins is enough  :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 17:17 by PaulineM »
1 Hubby, 2 children, 2 Welsummers, 1 Leghorn Banty, 1 Wyandotte Banty, 1 Barnevelder, 2 Isa Brown, 1 Rhode Island, 1 Goldline,1 Maran, 2 Mottled Leghorns, 1 Leghorn cockerel & 2 Jack Russells

Chicken star

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 17:32 »
Thanks :) That's really helpfull i've left her now with some food and water so i will go and check on her later!

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 19:31 »
Good luck, Chicken star and I hope you have some litte chicks eventually.  My broody has been sitting for fifteen days (and counting).

One thing you will need  to give some thought to is what you are going to do with the cockerels that hatch out. 

As for anti-broody measures in the future people have tried lots of different methods with, as far as I can tell, varying success.  If you use the search box in the top right hand corner you should be able to find different suggestions. 

I imagine someone more experienced will be along to give you further advice.

In the meantime good luck (again) and keep us posted.  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Chicken star

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2011, 09:08 »
Thanks again :) I'm quite excited and i do hope i end up with some little fluffy chicks this spring!
As for the cockerel situation i have a few friends who would like a silkie x cockerel so have said if i end up with any chicks they will have them!

Another Question

I have a rabbit hutch which isn't in use at the moment would it be a good idea to move my hen and her eggs into this but still in sight of the other hens. As one of the other hens has started to pick on my broody and i'm worried she might end up leaving the eggs. Also because of where she is sat if the eggs do hatch then more than likely a rat or another type of vermin may eat her chicks. (This happened to someones chicks i know)

Thanks

bantam novice

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 09:26 »
I'm not that expert on brooding myself but my instinct would be to use the rabbit hutch.  If the other hens can get at her they will also be able to get at the chicks.  She will not leave the eggs until all the chicks have hatched and the other hens may be able to get at the earlier hatching ones before she can move to defend them.
Make sure that you treat the hutch for redmite before you move her in.  I had a broody last year that sat until about two days before hatching was due then she abandoned her eggs.  We found that the place was riddled with redmite which had been having a good feed on her, poor thing.
16 days and counting for my broody.  I'm starting to get excited now!

Chicken star

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2011, 08:48 »
Thank you very much! Unfortunately the local fox stole 6 of my hens at the weekend  and left me with 5 including the cockerel. so now more than ever i'm sure i want to move her! Will i be okay touching the eggs or am i best just getting a small box with straw in and placing the eggs in there with the hen?
Aha i have no idea what i am supposed to be doing   :unsure:

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 11:38 »
I moved my broody into a rabbit hutch too.  She was not very happy at first but if you put the eggs in an shut her in she will setlle down.  i managed to section off part of the run with some netting so they can all see each other and put netting over the top as the daft thing flew out and couldn't get back!!  This should also deter any large birds trying to get to her chick (we had 1 hatch!)  We live by the sea and was a bit worried a gull might try.  I am hoping it is a girl as I lost a couple due to old age last year. 
I also had to take her off the nest once a day to eat and poop.  don't worry about the huge smelly poo's they are normal apparently!! Good luck.

Chicken star

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 11:55 »
Thanks  :) How Cute! I'm hoping mine are girls as well and just keep them away from the cockerel when they grow up!
At first she used to get off the eggs for about 2 minutes to walk about the stable and then she sits back on them! gave me a quick chance to nosey at how many eggs are there.  :happy: Now she's stopped getting up by herself so i normally just move her out the way she tends to then run over to the drinker and have a little corn as well.
I will move her tonight then when the others go to bed!

bantam novice

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 20:39 »
Good luck Chicken star and sorry to hear about your losses to the fox.  I am sure you are making the right decision.

I am still learning about brooding myself and from what I have read it doesn't matter if you take the eggs out to candle them, then put them back under the hen.  I should imagine that touching them to move them (so long as you don't let the eggs get wet or too cold) will be fine.

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 12:17 »
Yes, I was a little worried at first when i took my broody off the eggs to eat and she didn't go back on for over half an hour but someone on here mentioned that they had had a hen off the eggs for a couple of hours and they still hatched.  I tried candling mine but was not very successful.  First time I thought I saw something in one and the second time I couldn't see anything in any but got one chick! ???  Hopefully you will have more luck as your eggs have not been through the postal system!!

Chicken star

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 15:59 »
Thanks everyone, just over a week to go now! I'm so excited haha!  :happy: I have no idea if any are fertile though! I will just have to wait and see! She's settled in nicely in to her new coop so i guess i will just have to wait and see now! :D

bantam novice

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 19:17 »
Good Luck and keep us posted  :D

Chicken star

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 20:54 »
Hi everyone!
Today is the 21st day which i think means they're due today  :D
I heard from someone not to go near the coop on the day before and one day after they are due as this means they could kill the chicks!! Has anyone else heard this?
Anyway still no news i had a quick peep in the coop through a tiny hole but couldn't see any movement but i'm not to sure yet! Fingers Crossed ;)
 If the eggs don't hatch soon how long after the due date should i leave the hen sat on the eggs?

Thanks

bantam novice

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 12:34 »
Hello Chicken star
Oh I know the feeling of wanting just to have a quick peek  ::) 
My first chick didn't hatch out until day 22/23 and my second waited even longer to day 25/26.  If your broody has not abandoned the eggs it means that some at least are probably viable.  Leave her to it and try check without disturbing her if you can.  Good luck!  This is a really exciting time  :)
Don't forget the pics when they hatch  :D

xx
eating fertile eggs from under a broody!! and general broody questions

Started by frenchliving on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2012, 20:58
by ANHBUC
xx
Sorry ANOTHER broody question (that's BROODY not B*oody)

Started by Fifitrix on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 10:36
by Fifitrix
xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
Stopping a broody being broody

Started by redlandschooks on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 20:10
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 36 queries.