Hello, I'm new here - from France

• 3 Replies

frances24

Hello, I'm new here - from France
« on: April 16, 2011, 12:20 »
Hello - I'm British but living in France.  I've just noticed some reddish brown eggs on my onions and shallots!  Never seen them before.  Very small, like butterfly eggs but glossy.  In groups of about 10 to 20.  Anyone any ideas what they might be?

peapod

• Pea Goddess
Re: Hello, I'm new here - from France
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2011, 12:51 »
Hello and welcome  :D

I have no idea what they may be but someone here will.  Perhaps if you could post a piccie it may help a wee bit more if we are struggling.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2011, 16:18 »
Sounds like you'll have onion root flies hatching any day. Better get them all squashed ASAP. This is borrowed from No Dig Gardening:

Onion fly: These are not only onion pests, they also attack all members of the allium family, such as leeks, garlic and ornamental alliums.

Onion fly lay eggs which hatch into maggots and eat into onion seedlings usually between the leaves and small bulbs or roots. In older onions the onion fly maggots eat away at the bottom of the onion bulbs.

These onion pests will eventually cause the onion leaves to go pale, wilt then die off, the bulb, or at least the inside of it to become rotten and stinky and the plant to keel over and die.

The onion fly looks similar to a small house fly and can be found flying around early summer as it lays its eggs in seedlings or the soil at the base of plants.

After 3 days the eggs hatch and the larvae tunnel into the onion, where they dine non-stop for 3 weeks growing into full-sized 8mm long reddish brown maggots.

Fat and happy they burrow back into the soil and pupate, emerging as a new generation of flies 17 days later.

At the end of summer after a few generations, the final pupae over-winter until next spring.

Benandbill

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 16:28 »
Good luck with that frances24.  I'm quite jealous that you're in France by the way!!  Onions not in short supply though I imagine  :tongue2:

xx
two weeks in france = disasters in the garden!

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 02, 2009, 18:53
by Plot22
xx
gardening easy in South west France ?

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 18, 2017, 19:02
by victoria park

Page created in 0.66 seconds with 30 queries.