pecking and bald patches

• 3 Replies

camelliagirl

pecking and bald patches
« on: April 14, 2011, 22:15 »
One of my chickens has always been a bit more scruffy than the others and been a bit featherless at the base of her back and another patch just above her tail feathers.  However, the patch on her back is now much larger and more red and the two other hens appear to be pecking her more.  Can I do something or spray something on to stop the others pecking at her?

Also I noticed today on the patch just above her tail feathers that there was something like a raised cyst like a large mole but light in colour.  I wondered if it was perhaps an ingrowing feather.  Is there something I can do about this too?  I didn't want to try lancing it in case it caused an infection or some bleeding which I thought might cause the others to peck her more.

I am reticent to separate her as I think when I re-introduce her it would cause more bullying.

Any help anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Junie

Re: pecking and bald patches
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:41 »
I had pecking issues and used beak bits as I could not get any purple spray which most people say works.
I was given a chook who was bald on the top of her head for 18 months and so called "Baldy" This winter she moulted and now as a full head of feathers, so now she is "not baldy anymore!"
As for the cyst - if it is just above the tail feathers, chickens have a gland here, I think an oil gland, which you remove when preparing for food ( I only know this after doing so!) This is what it may be, I could see it on one of my hens when she was moulting, normally it is covered.  It may be worth trying to find a picture!

The only trouble with splitting the birds is that when you introduce them again, they have to again reestablish the pecking order, obviously do so if things get bad though.

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:49 »
Yes, the "raised cyst" will be the preen gland which secretes a special oil that the birds use with they groom themselves.

Feather pecking can become a very bad habit, and I would probably try break bits (you can buy them from the domestic fowl trust).  the bits prevent the beak from closing enough to grip feathers, but don't stop the birds from eating or drinking.  usually they can be removed after  a month or two.

For the moment, I would try purple spray on the pecks chickens back.  This will help to disguise the redness of the bare skin.  You could also try increasing the protein in the diet for a while.  As sometimes feather pecking can start by a nutritional deficiency (usually protein and/or biotin).

To increase protein, you can supplement some the layers pellets with an unmedicated turkey or phesant/quail starter, or add crushed soy beans.

camelliagirl

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 11:46 »
Thanks very much.  I've ordered some purple spray but I also ordered a "saddle" too which I thought might also help.  If that doesn't work I'll try the break bits. 

Good job I didn't try to lance the "cyst" then!!  I knew they had an oil gland but didn't know exactly where it was!!!

xx
bald patches

Started by vic_eloise on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 14, 2009, 00:27
by vic_eloise
xx
Bald patches

Started by ycholmes on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 13:58
by Casey76
xx
Bald patches

Started by SuzyQ on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 26, 2013, 08:26
by SuzyQ
xx
bald patches

Started by LGS on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 09:10
by Roughlee Handled

Page created in 0.306 seconds with 29 queries.