Seaweed Fertilizer

• 5 Replies

Alec_Macpherson

Seaweed Fertilizer
« on: April 12, 2011, 19:38 »
An old timer I once knew would keep a sunken box of manure mixed with water which he'd dip into to get extra vim for watering the leeks and wattknot.  Rather than using manure, I was considering seaweed which I can find in large quantities.

Would this benefit any veg?
Tra-la-la-li-la.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Seaweed Fertilizer
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 19:53 »
I'd have thought it would be a useful general purpose fertiliser, as you can get seaweed extract which is watered on as a type of tonic, and we use comfrey or nettle tea in the same way.

The only concern I might have is salt build-up in the water so would advise thorough rinsing before putting the seaweed into the box.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 20:12 »
think one technique to try to get rid of salt would be to break it up into peices, dry it in the sun until crisp dry and then blanch and rub it with hands in warm water to get rid of any salt inside and out then safely use it as needed. if you know the variety then try researching if it has a high salt intake via the roots or leaves or is it immune to taking in salt (knowing too much salt is dangerous) via some sort of natural built in filter or defence in which case you know you are dealing only with surface salt not salt consumed inside the leaves.

just a thought

PG

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 23:04 »
There are some previous threads about using seaweed: if you click Search (above), go to advanced search, click in Seaweed, then Aidy, and you'll get some results.

I personally prefer to buy the concentrated extract and spray that as foliar feed. And it's good for almost every plant.

solway cropper

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 23:30 »
I've been using seaweed fertilizer for a few years with excellent results. I make a 'tea' by stewing it in a big tub for a few months then dumping the partly rotted weed onto the compost heap. The salt content isn't enough to cause a problem but worms are not keen on fresh seaweed. BEWARE liquid seaweed feed has a very antisocial smell!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:17 »
Echo Solway's method, with the addition of a very thorough rinse prior to steeping. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
seaweed as fertilizer

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 24, 2010, 02:19
by Trillium
xx
Seaweed meal V calcified seaweed

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 22:25
by Trillium
xx
So which fertilizer do you use?

Started by allot2learn on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 17, 2015, 13:42
by Ema
xx
Fertilizer

Started by catherineirvine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 05, 2008, 10:31
by catherineirvine

Page created in 0.736 seconds with 36 queries.