Frost & peas

• 5 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Frost & peas
« on: April 11, 2011, 18:52 »
Have grown some Kelvedon wonder in modules and planted them out today after hardening off.  Needless to say there might be a ground frost tonight (am in East Anglia).  They are in the garden quite close to a garden fence.  Will they need fleece or are Kelvedon quite hardy.

Have same problem with a new bay tree have just bought.  they say put outside in early April which have done but again, not sure how it might be affected by frost.  Any ideas?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Frost & peas
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 18:55 »
The peas should be fine.

Was the bay tree indoors or outdoors at the garden centre?  If indoors then I'd consider fleecing it to ensure it's not too shocked by the temperature.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Weston grower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 19:23 »
I planted peas back in November before the snow. 50% survived being buried under the snow plus weeks of very low temps, ie below freezing.

So dont worry about them.

Cheers, WG

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 21:04 »
You've hardened the peas off so they should be OK.  KW are tough, and if they are near a fence then that'll give off residual heat.

I would definitely protect the Bay...I had two well established ones this year and the winter got them badly, so its advisable not to take the risk so early on.
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 07:50 »
planted onwards outside 2 weeks ago and no problems so far, they're growing strong  8)

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 18:46 »
Thanks for all this, peas going strong.  I did fleece the baytree but I don't think we got any frost in the end.  Have put it against the wall for the time being so hopefully should be ok there

xx
peas and frost

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2012, 04:47
by DD.
question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
Frost

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2019, 18:19
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.49 seconds with 36 queries.